Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop spam emails in my IMac mail

Lately I've been getting a slew of spam emails.

Is there a way to stop them?

I'm fearful about clicking on "unsubscride."

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 5:31 AM

Hello John,

You'll need to setup inbox rules to prevent these emails from coming through. Please read: Use rules to manage emails you receive in Mail on Mac - Apple Support. If you need help setting up rules I'd be more than willing to help.

I'd recommend upgrading to iCloud+ What is iCloud+? - Apple Support and utilizing the Hide My Email Feature - Create unique, random email addresses with Hide My Email and iCloud+ - Apple Support. This will allow you to give these sites unique randomly generated emails instead of your real email.

I would agree, if you don't recognize the sender don't hit 'Unsubscribe'. Sometimes these are fake to see if you're using an active email or to trick you into clicking a link.

I hope this helps!

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2022 5:31 AM in response to John Earl

Hello John,

You'll need to setup inbox rules to prevent these emails from coming through. Please read: Use rules to manage emails you receive in Mail on Mac - Apple Support. If you need help setting up rules I'd be more than willing to help.

I'd recommend upgrading to iCloud+ What is iCloud+? - Apple Support and utilizing the Hide My Email Feature - Create unique, random email addresses with Hide My Email and iCloud+ - Apple Support. This will allow you to give these sites unique randomly generated emails instead of your real email.

I would agree, if you don't recognize the sender don't hit 'Unsubscribe'. Sometimes these are fake to see if you're using an active email or to trick you into clicking a link.

I hope this helps!

Oct 12, 2022 5:47 AM in response to John Earl

Please read this support page for setting up and using Hide my Email - Set up and use Hide My Email in iCloud+ on all your devices - Apple Support.

You're going to want to create inbox rules like the screenshot above. If "any" email content contains x. Move message to Trash.

You'll want to find a phrase or phrases that are similar amongst the emails to block more with one rule. Click the first "+" all the way to the right to add more rules. You can check for a lot of things, but be careful! If a legitimate email meets that criteria it will be marked and move to Trash.

Oct 12, 2022 6:14 AM in response to John Earl

There is one of two reasons you get spam mail like this.

1. Companies like Google, Meta (Facebook, Instagram, and whatever else they own), Twitter, etc. sell your data for a profit to third-parties. This includes your email. They could be spamming you or they could sell it again and they might be spamming you.
  2. When companies are hacked and information is released emails and passwords are commonly scooped up by hackers, scammers, and spammers. Scammers and Spammers obviously are going to be the issue here. This is why it's important to change your passwords frequently.

This is why you should use Hide My Email instead of giving out your real email. Once you get spam mail from a certain address you can deactivate the email address and you will no longer receive any spam. However, once they get your personal/real email it's game over because it's pretty much always out there... That is why I never use Google, Meta, and Twitter and I'm very careful to who I give my email out to even if it's just a Hide My Email address.

Oct 12, 2022 5:59 AM in response to John Earl

If you believe you won't get any legitimate gutter emails you can block them!

Message content = "gutter guards"

Message content = "clogged gutters"

That would move any message that says "gutter guards" or "clogged gutters" to the Trash immediately. It's safe to open the email to find similar content for blocking purposes. DO NOT click on any links or attachments.

How to stop spam emails in my IMac mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.