Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting two monitors to my 2022 macbook pro m1 pro chip, but one monitor's resolution is limited to 1024x768

Hi all,

I am connecting two monitors to my macbook pro m1 pro chip, the first one works well, but the second one is detected as non pnp monitor and the resolution is only limited to 1024x768. I connected the first monitor with a HDMI to thunderbolt cable, and the second one with displayport cable. I have attached a hub to my mac which can connect with displayport cables. Does anyone know why the second monitor is doing that?

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 2:13 PM

7 replies

Oct 12, 2022 2:36 PM in response to Dahapplebea

We can not see your computer, your cables, your docks, your displays. That is a lot of complex equipment that could be connected in a multitude of ways.

please step back and describe what make&model display is connected with EXACTLY what cables, adapter and docks, separately for as many displays as you have. Mention every item in the chain, in order, no matter how trivial.

Oct 12, 2022 3:06 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Sorry about that. The two monitors are Pixio PX243 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09QW2G35J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). This monitor comes with a displayport to displayport cable. My macbook pro is the m1pro version. I connected the first monitor with a hdmi to thunderbolt cable (cable bought separately), it works perfectly. I am able to choose 1920x1080 in display setting.

I tried to connect the second monitor with the displayport to displayport cable. I bought a 12 in 1 hub that has two hdmi plugs and one displayport plug (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082WT3FL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1), so I used the displayport cable that came with the monitor to connect the monitor. However, the second monitor's resolution is limited to 1024x768 in display setting, and the monitor is recognized as non pnp. I am not sure what the problem is. Is it because of the displayport cable?

Oct 12, 2022 4:30 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

if you display does not show up at all:

to get a Mac display to become active, you need the Mac to query the display, and the display to answer with its name and capabilities. Otherwise, the display will not be shown as present, and no data will be sent to the display. "No signal detected" is generated by the DISPLAY, not by the Mac.

This query is only sent at certain times:

• at startup

• at wake from sleep — so momentarily sleeping and waking your Mac may work

• at insertion of the Mac-end of the display-cable, provided everything on that cable is ready-to-go

• on invoking Option-(Detect Display) button in Displays preferences (from another display)

so try doing some of those things and see if the display comes alive.

Connecting two monitors to my 2022 macbook pro m1 pro chip, but one monitor's resolution is limited to 1024x768

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.