Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I make incremental adjustment to sync sound tracks in iMovie v.10.3

Can I make incremental adjustments in oder to sync sound tracks in iMovie v.10.3, using left & right arrows, like I used to be able to in Final Cut Pro?

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 12:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 8:52 AM

Hi, Goomboorian,

You can't nudge an audio clip in iMovie by using the left and right arrow keys. However, you can nudge it in the leftward direction by selecting the clip and holding down the Option key while tapping the < key (the one next to the letter m on the keyboard). Apparently the procedure is a holdover from earlier versions of iMovie, but, as I said, it won't work to nudge the audio clip to the right with the > key. So, you would first need to position the audio clip slightly to the right of where you want it to end up, and then use the Option-< procedure to nudge it left.

-- Rich

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2022 8:52 AM in response to Goomboorian

Hi, Goomboorian,

You can't nudge an audio clip in iMovie by using the left and right arrow keys. However, you can nudge it in the leftward direction by selecting the clip and holding down the Option key while tapping the < key (the one next to the letter m on the keyboard). Apparently the procedure is a holdover from earlier versions of iMovie, but, as I said, it won't work to nudge the audio clip to the right with the > key. So, you would first need to position the audio clip slightly to the right of where you want it to end up, and then use the Option-< procedure to nudge it left.

-- Rich

Oct 14, 2022 10:16 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

True. The feature is somewhat redundant anyway. If one expands out the timeline the audio clip can be moved in small increments with the cursor -- and in both directions. It almost looks as if Apple intended to eliminate it, but somehow a partially functional version slipped through. It's not mentioned in any literature that I have seen. I wouldn't have known about it if a poster hadn't mentioned it 4-5 years ago. Oh, well. I suppose more is more. Can't hurt to have it.

-- Rich

Oct 14, 2022 4:40 PM in response to Goomboorian

Yes. Select the video clip that has the audio embedded in it. Then do File>Detach Audio. That will separate the audio from the video clip. Then you can delete the audio or save it elsewhere. That now leaves you with a silent video clip. Then import into the project the audio/video clip that you recorded on your iPhone. You can just email it to yourself and then drag it into iMovie, or use AirDrop.

-- Rich

Oct 14, 2022 4:58 PM in response to Rich839

Thanks again Rich. I already have the external audio running on the time line, but I would feel more comfortable it was embedded with the original video – replacing the original audio. It seems to me that having the sound in with the video, it will be safer to begin cutting scenes, thus reducing the chance getting any audio out of sync. Is this a reasonable fear?

– Jim

Oct 14, 2022 5:34 PM in response to Goomboorian

One can cut scenes and still sync the audio. You can select the video and the audio such that any cut you make to one will occur on the other. Or you can move or trim the audio to match the cuts to your video.

Be comforted by the fact that iMovie preserves all media. Nothing that is cut or trimmed in the timeline is lost — it just becomes invisible. You can always drag out the edge of a trimmed or cut clip to restore what you removed. So you really can’t make an irreversible error.

However if a possible sync issue concerns you, place the audio clip and the video clip into a newly created project for the purpose, and then share it out. That will merge the audio and video. Then import your merged movie into your original project.

— Rich

— Rich

Can I make incremental adjustment to sync sound tracks in iMovie v.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.