Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods automatically connect to iPhone, but not to MacBook

Here's a list of my hardware:

• iPhone 13 Pro Max (15.6.1)
  • MacBook Air M2 (Monterey 12.5)
  • AirPods—basic model (A2031) with a firmware of 4E71

The issue:

• If the AirPods are connected to my Macbook and I play something on my iPhone, the AirPods automatically connect to my iPhone.
  • If the AirPods are connected to my iPhone and I play something on my MacBook, the AirPods remain connected to my iPhone. My MacBook plays the sounds through its speakers. During this time, I'm shown that the AirPods are connected to my MacBook. If I disconnect my AirPods and reconnect them to my MacBook, the sounds start playing through my AirPods.

Note: My MacBook also notifies me that my AirPods are nearby and asks if I should connect to them. However, in Bluetooth > Devices, I'm already connected to them.

Due to all this, I'm unable to seamlessly and automatically transition my AirPods from iPhone to MacBook. I have to do it manually. Any help will be appreciated.

Important: I have already tried resetting my AirPods.

Another user on this forum had this issue as well, but unfortunately, the thread never reached a conclusion.

MacBook Air, macOS 12.5

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 2:06 PM

Hello HamzaMohammad,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. If you haven't already, try restarting your iPhone and Mac. Restarting devices can reset connection and resolve many unexpected behaviors.

1. Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

2. Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

We see that your devices are running older software versions. Keeping the software up to date can ensure apps and features work as expected. We recommend that you update your MacBook and iPhone.

1. Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support
  2. Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Take a look at the following resource for more help with switching AirPods automatically: Switch your AirPods to another device - Apple Support

Let us know the results. Be sure to include any other steps that you may have tried.

Have a nice day!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2022 2:06 PM in response to HamzaMohammad

Hello HamzaMohammad,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. If you haven't already, try restarting your iPhone and Mac. Restarting devices can reset connection and resolve many unexpected behaviors.

1. Shut down or restart your Mac - Apple Support

2. Restart your iPhone - Apple Support

We see that your devices are running older software versions. Keeping the software up to date can ensure apps and features work as expected. We recommend that you update your MacBook and iPhone.

1. Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support
  2. Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Take a look at the following resource for more help with switching AirPods automatically: Switch your AirPods to another device - Apple Support

Let us know the results. Be sure to include any other steps that you may have tried.

Have a nice day!

AirPods automatically connect to iPhone, but not to MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.