Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes for Windows

Why does iTunes delete MY personally owned songs (my own collection, not downloaded from Apple or iTunes) when I click on 'Remove Download'. This should ONLY delete songs that I have actually downloaded FROM iTunes or Apple, NO?

I make my own music and import it into iTunes to download onto an iPod classic. Now they are gone. Why would this happen? I AM SO IRATE!

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 6:03 PM

Apple Music/iTunes Match can upload tracks that aren't recognized in Apple's own catalog, provided they meet certain criteria (size, bitrate, etc.). Uploaded tracks can be streamed or downloaded again at a later date.

tt2

7 replies

Oct 13, 2022 1:17 PM in response to DjSker

Do you have a subscription to Apple Music or iTunes Match? In the context of iCloud Music library Remove Download deletes a locally stored copy of a track while retaining a reference to an uploaded or matched version in the cloud that can be streamed thereafter. There is no specific limitation for this function to iTunes purchases. I don't suppose the app actually checks for the existence of a linked item in the cloud, and that it will happily let you remove items that are waiting to upload, ineligible, in error, etc. Are these items still on your classic? Or any backup, old computer, hard drive, etc. If so they can be recovered from there. See Recover media from an iPod - Apple Community.

tt2

Oct 13, 2022 4:18 PM in response to DjSker

What did you do? Select all tracks, right-click, and then tap Remove Download? Why would you do this before making a backup of your library, testing the exact behaviour of the function, and confirming that all content you were working with was successfully matched or uploaded? Sorry if that seems harsh but if you're running a business you need backups and duplicate hardware so you never get caught out. See Identify cloud status icons in your music library on your Mac or PC - Apple Support so you can check in future what might be safe to remove.

You can look for file recovery software that may be able to restore your deleted files. I paid for Seagate's tool some years ago but there have been good free tools at various times. Recuva used to be one of them but it seems to have been swallowed up by a bigger fish.

tt2

Oct 13, 2022 3:29 PM in response to turingtest2

We have Apple Music. Some of the songs are on my iPod classic. My library is over 72,000 songs, which are all on an external hard drive. After this happened, my external hard drive has only 20,000 songs. Apple or iTunes deleted 50,000 songs.

What I don't understand is, I am a DJ and make my own mixes and it deleted those too. WHY? There's no way to even match those mixes with Apple Music, iTunes or ANY other music application. This doesn't make any sense to me.

Oct 13, 2022 5:37 PM in response to turingtest2

I guess I had a brain fart when doing that. I normally would take such great precaution before clicking on something that I'm not 100 percent sure what it does.

Definitely gonna have to try the Recover Deleted files software.

But my one question is, how can it delete my OWN PERSONAL SONGS that I did not get through iTunes or Apple Music? Obviously these songs will not be on either nor can they be matched. THIS I DO NOT UNDERSTAND.

Thanks for the help, it's appreciated.

Oct 17, 2022 6:11 AM in response to turingtest2

OK, but then if I remove the downloads, it should not delete MY PERSONAL files. It's like stealing. Apple has NO RIGHT to delete my music from MY harddrive, especially if they don't have that music IN iTunes Match or Apple Music. So now if I 'remove download', MY ORIGINAL file gets stolen from me and can never be played again. This makes no sense. EFF Apple! Once I get all my music back, I am cancelling them.

Oct 17, 2022 8:04 AM in response to DjSker

Computers are stupid. They do exactly what we tell them to do, even if it wasn't want we thought we were telling them to do, or meant to do. The remove downloads command in the iTunes context menu for a selection of tracks tells iTunes to remove the local copies of the selected items to free up memory, with the intention that you can then stream those tracks later, or redownload on demand. People use this feature to free up memory on their computers. You misunderstood what it was going to do. Hopefully this content is still in the cloud and can be downloaded. Apple Music and iCloud Match are cloud library syncing services, meaning that actions you take in one library or device can be repeated in all your libraries and devices. Ideally you would have taken an additional backup of all of your content before using either of these services so that you would be in a position to replace anything you might have deleted in error.

tt2

iTunes for Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.