Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP keeps crashing

Hi, I have a 2020 M1 pro MacBook, but every time I run FCP it loads up then buffers with the ball, and has to be forced quit.

I'm running 10.6.4 FCP.

Does anyone have any ideas what the issue might be? I have no errors on the Media in the library so nothing appears corrupt... I should have no issues using an M1 and haven't until recently.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 12:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 1:17 AM

First, whenever the application crashes, delete its preferences.

To delete preferences, hold down command and option while starting FCP X and click Delete Preferences. The application will start in a default state, and open an “Untitled” library.

Reopen the library you were working on, set the preferences the way you like them, and try again.

Second, you are using the very first version of Monterey, releasdd about a year ago. The current version is 12.6 and you should consider updating.

Third, many things can have an impact and we need to know more. Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here.

Use the “additional text” button and paste the report into the text box.

It is often the case that third party software modifications impact on professional applications like FCP. The report may tell us if that is the case here.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2022 1:17 AM in response to KippMajors78

First, whenever the application crashes, delete its preferences.

To delete preferences, hold down command and option while starting FCP X and click Delete Preferences. The application will start in a default state, and open an “Untitled” library.

Reopen the library you were working on, set the preferences the way you like them, and try again.

Second, you are using the very first version of Monterey, releasdd about a year ago. The current version is 12.6 and you should consider updating.

Third, many things can have an impact and we need to know more. Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here.

Use the “additional text” button and paste the report into the text box.

It is often the case that third party software modifications impact on professional applications like FCP. The report may tell us if that is the case here.

FCP keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.