Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have many song playable on old iTunes not purchased from apple, but I can’t get into my library on my iPhone or iPad. How do I get them to play on my apple devices?

I cannot get my old iTunes library copied into my new iPhone. My library includes many songs purchased as cd’s, not purchased from apple. How do I get them into my new iPad and iPhone?

iPhone 13

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 8:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 9:35 PM

Hi Billworldtraveller

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Re: I cannot get my old iTunes library copied into my new iPhone.

Thank you for posting your questions, and for including some good info.

Wondering where the older iTunes Library of songs is stored. now

(Eg on an older phone, on an iPad, on a Mac, on a PC,, or on external storage)

Also is iCloud an option for you ... eg to "sync" music from one computer / device to the iPad and iPhone.

(A possible drawback to using sync may be: deleting from one device deletes from everywhere that is in sync.)

NB: You can also sync between devices, (without using iCloud to keep everything in sync) using a cable..

How do I get them to play on my apple devices?

You would be able to use the Music app, on iPhone and iPad, if the app has access the library of song files.

(NB: Seems you do not have to subscribe to use Apple Music app to play songs:)

Apple support has a few articles online that may or may not be of help:

Sync music from your Mac to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Or you can sync music from your PC to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

________________________________________________________________________________________

More info:

Sync content or transfer files between your iPhone and computer with the Finder or iTunes – Apple Support

Intro to transferring files between your iPhone and computer – Apple Support

Use multiple libraries in Music on Mac – Apple Support

ie: music library

The collection of music that can include items from Apple Music, your other devices, CDs, the iTunes Store or other services.

You can access your entire music library on all your devices when you’re signed in with the same Apple ID and connected to the internet.

All the best :-)

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 14, 2022 9:35 PM in response to Billworldtraveller

Hi Billworldtraveller

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Re: I cannot get my old iTunes library copied into my new iPhone.

Thank you for posting your questions, and for including some good info.

Wondering where the older iTunes Library of songs is stored. now

(Eg on an older phone, on an iPad, on a Mac, on a PC,, or on external storage)

Also is iCloud an option for you ... eg to "sync" music from one computer / device to the iPad and iPhone.

(A possible drawback to using sync may be: deleting from one device deletes from everywhere that is in sync.)

NB: You can also sync between devices, (without using iCloud to keep everything in sync) using a cable..

How do I get them to play on my apple devices?

You would be able to use the Music app, on iPhone and iPad, if the app has access the library of song files.

(NB: Seems you do not have to subscribe to use Apple Music app to play songs:)

Apple support has a few articles online that may or may not be of help:

Sync music from your Mac to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

Or you can sync music from your PC to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

________________________________________________________________________________________

More info:

Sync content or transfer files between your iPhone and computer with the Finder or iTunes – Apple Support

Intro to transferring files between your iPhone and computer – Apple Support

Use multiple libraries in Music on Mac – Apple Support

ie: music library

The collection of music that can include items from Apple Music, your other devices, CDs, the iTunes Store or other services.

You can access your entire music library on all your devices when you’re signed in with the same Apple ID and connected to the internet.

All the best :-)

I have many song playable on old iTunes not purchased from apple, but I can’t get into my library on my iPhone or iPad. How do I get them to play on my apple devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.