Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 13 with 16.0.3 - Dictation stopped working

I am a regular user of dictation with my iphone and have never had issues with it. However, it has stopped working. The microphone is there...when I press it a little microphone icon shows in text field and it seems to be listening but never produces text.

I have fully upgraded my iphone. I have turned Siri off and dictation off, done restart, and then turned back on, but the problem persists. Everything I keep finding online is just about turning dictation on/off for keyboard. That isn't the problem...it just won't produce text from my voice. Any ideas?

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2022 5:37 PM

Thanks for suggestions. Microphone works when recording to audio but dictation doesn’t work in any app.

I finally tried resetting languages and was able to get the microphone to work. Only thing I can think of is that the language file was corrupted in the last upgrade. But it is working again.

4 replies

iPhone 13 with 16.0.3 - Dictation stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.