Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File transfer—Prioritise wired connection over wifi?

Is it possible to "direct" file transfers over wired connections while Macs are connected to a wifi network?

I have a number of Macs and occasionally need to transfer large (GBs) files between them. They run various macOS versions, from High Sierra to Monterey.

The Macs are all obviously connected to my wifi network but due to the location of the router wifi is slower for file transfers than a wired connection.

In my testing it seems that even if I connect a wired connection the file transfer will be done wirelessly. For the transfer to be done over the wired connection I need to disconnect at least one of the Macs from the wifi.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this

Philip

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Oct 15, 2022 3:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 15, 2022 6:01 AM

The service order in Network system prefs determines priority, primarily for internet. If Ethernet is above WiFi in the service order, it should use that as primary.

You might also try connect to the other Mac using its Ethernet IP address in Connect to Server.

Similar questions

2 replies

File transfer—Prioritise wired connection over wifi?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.