Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Nightly Home Screen and Find My Battery Drain

I’m curious as to why Home Screen and Find My keeps draining my battery, but only at night. In the pic posted between 9am and 9pm my battery went from roughly 75% to just under 50%. But then between 9pm and early morning the battery completely discharged even though I’m not using it for most of this period. This is typical. What’s different at night ? Is this a bug ?

iPhone 11

Posted on Oct 16, 2022 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2022 12:52 PM

Your iPhone (or any smartphone) uses power continuously, even overnight. The lock screen uses power every time you receive a notification, as it must turn on to process the notification. Find My uses energy to determine its position, and also to respond to requests for location from any devices that you share your location with.

You should be charging your phone overnight with Battery Charging Optimization turned on. And you are letting your battery get much to low; over time, that will shorten the useful life of the battery. The absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates. Here's more information→About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2022 12:52 PM in response to jlslu

Your iPhone (or any smartphone) uses power continuously, even overnight. The lock screen uses power every time you receive a notification, as it must turn on to process the notification. Find My uses energy to determine its position, and also to respond to requests for location from any devices that you share your location with.

You should be charging your phone overnight with Battery Charging Optimization turned on. And you are letting your battery get much to low; over time, that will shorten the useful life of the battery. The absolute best way to get maximum use on a charge, as well as slow the decline of battery capacity long term is to enable Optimized Battery Charging (Settings/Battery/Battery Health) and charge the device overnight, every night. The battery will fast charge to 80%, then pause. During the nighttime pause the phone will use mains power instead of battery power, allowing the battery to “rest”, and thus reducing the need to charge the battery quite as often. The phone will resume charging to reach 100% when you are ready to use your phone; it will “learn” your usage pattern. If you enable iCloud Backup (Settings/[your name]/iCloud - iCloud Backup) the phone will back up overnight also, assuring that you can never lose more than the current day’s updates. Here's more information→About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone - Apple Support

Oct 17, 2022 12:17 PM in response to jlslu

Hi jlslu,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities! There are a few tips on settings you can implement in order to maximize your battery life.

You can find those tips here: Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

Be sure that your device is up to date running the latest iOS ( currently iOS 16.0.3). To check for any updates that may need to be installed and install them:

1. Go to Settings > General > Software Updates
  2. Tap on Download and install

Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Hope that help!

Oct 23, 2022 5:03 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I understand your points with respect to my phone but how do I achieve this with the watch? Overnight is where I have it on to calculate sleep times etc. Updating my watch to iOS 9 has resulted in a complete battery drain overnight.. and this is with sleep focus where screen wake up is off and there are no notifications etc

Oct 24, 2022 5:51 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I spoke to customer service and all diagnostics test went well. What ended up addressing the problem was me un pairing and then pairing the watch again to my phone. That cleared up whatever software issues existed with me updating to watch OS 9 since the phone worked great during last night (used less than 20% battery).

Nightly Home Screen and Find My Battery Drain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.