Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I send SMS from apple watch 8 cellurar without iPhone?

Can I send or receive SMS from my apple watch 8 cellurar if my iPhone is turned off?

Posted on Oct 16, 2022 10:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2022 11:06 AM

I should have helped clarify. It's true the iPhone needs to be turned on and connected to a network. And it's true the phone doesn't have to nearby. If you're going to travel about without your iPhone, just leaved it turned on and connected to a network. But it's also true, if the phone is completely powered off, you can only send iMessage messages, meaning to an between other iOS based devices.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2022 11:06 AM in response to DanielDanielewski

I should have helped clarify. It's true the iPhone needs to be turned on and connected to a network. And it's true the phone doesn't have to nearby. If you're going to travel about without your iPhone, just leaved it turned on and connected to a network. But it's also true, if the phone is completely powered off, you can only send iMessage messages, meaning to an between other iOS based devices.

Oct 16, 2022 10:59 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Unfortunately, I can not.
If my iPhone is turned on, I can send and receive SMS. But if I turn off the iPhone and the watch logs into GSM, I can only make calls and I have access to the Internet, but I cannot send SMS. WHY?
Why is this happening?
Please help because I want to change the brand from Samsung to Apple and I have a lot of doubts

Oct 16, 2022 11:02 AM in response to lobsterghost1

I've read it and there are some contradictions. Look:

2a: To send and receive SMS/MMS from cellular models of Apple Watch, your paired iPhone must be powered on and connected to Wi-Fi or cellular, but your iPhone doesn’t need to be nearby.

2b: Even if your iPhone isn’t connected or powered on, you can send and receive iMessages on your Apple Watch when your Apple Watch is connected to Wi-Fi or cellular.

First it says iPhone must be turned on and below it says it doesn't. What is the truth?

Oct 16, 2022 11:15 AM in response to DanielDanielewski

Yes. If for example I go shopping at the mall and I don't want to carry my iPhone with me, I leave it in my car, turned on. If I turn off the phone, I'll get iMessages, but not SMS Messages. You can leave the house with your iPhone on your person, just leave it turned on.

Please keep in mind Apple Watch is not a stand alone device. It requires a paired iPhone, even with cellular and for some cellular feature to work, the phone has to be on. It just doesn't always have to be with you.

Can I send SMS from apple watch 8 cellurar without iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.