Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change the login/startup Image in Mac OS

HI: recently purchased a Mac Book Pro, M1 and I have OS 12.5.1 currently. I am surprised that when I go to System Preferences/Display & Screen Saver I only have the option to change the Desktop display and not the log-in display. I know this feature existed previously and have looked everywhere and cannot find how to change it. I saw a post here from last year where a commenter said that his feature was taken away? WHY? I know on my other Macs there are different images that get plugged into the log-in screen without logic

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Oct 17, 2022 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2022 1:01 PM

if you are the sole user (not even a guest account) AND file vault is turned off you can go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options and set "Display login window as" to "List of users". then your login screen matches your desktop background.

if you are using file vault or have multiple users, the above will not work.  if that's your situation, you will need to wait for apple to address this. it may be worth your time to send feedback directly to apple. Feedback - macOS - Apple

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2022 1:01 PM in response to eerobicheaux

if you are the sole user (not even a guest account) AND file vault is turned off you can go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options and set "Display login window as" to "List of users". then your login screen matches your desktop background.

if you are using file vault or have multiple users, the above will not work.  if that's your situation, you will need to wait for apple to address this. it may be worth your time to send feedback directly to apple. Feedback - macOS - Apple

Oct 18, 2022 5:17 PM in response to eerobicheaux

eerobicheaux wrote:

I think I have asked the wrong question. I am referring to the image that shows up on the screen when one first turns on the computer, the log in screen.

no, you are in the right place. that is how you make the login screen match your chosen desktop pic.

here used to be a feature in System Preferences/Display that let one chose the log/on screen or start up screen versus what is now the Desktop display.

now your only options are to use the horrid orange login screen or have it match your chosen desktop pic.

I want to change the startup image but cannot find how to do so and in one post the responder made a comment that it could not longer be done because Apple secured that area.

then I guess that is correct. I don't know "what used to be" but since at least Big Sur the login screen pic can no longer be set independently of your desktop pic. sorry.

Oct 19, 2022 7:40 AM in response to eerobicheaux

I don't believer there is a way to change that screen. It is embedded in the read-only, sealed snapshot.

The others here are trying to explain how you can avoid it, but it requires that your turn FileVault off, and maybe turn on automatic login. The account login screen will show whatever you set for the admin account desktop.

If you have FileVault enabled, the decryption login will always be the Apple designated background.

If there is a way to hack the OS and put in a different picture, you will probably have to find it on a different site as that would probably violate the terms of use, here.

Oct 18, 2022 4:37 PM in response to eerobicheaux

I think I have asked the wrong question. I am referring to the image that shows up on the screen when one first turns on the computer, the log in screen. There used to be a feature in System Preferences/Display that let one chose the log/on screen or start up screen versus what is now the Desktop display. I want to change the startup image but cannot find how to do so and in one post the responder made a comment that it could not longer be done because Apple secured that area.

Oct 19, 2022 7:44 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks for the responses. The relevant part I initially missed was "then your login screen matches your desktop background." I didn't get it until I tried it this morning. I was looking for some process like what existed in the past. So I wonder how the system decides what the login will be like if one doesn't have these settings set? With regard to staying with the latest and greatest OS version, there are some valid reasons to wait before installing OS upgrades as some supporting software may have issues which I have run into in the past. Know some reputable photographers who maintain this process. Again, thanks

Earl

How to change the login/startup Image in Mac OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.