Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"A software update is required to connect to your iPhone"

All of my software is up-to-date, but I'm still getting this message every time I connect my iPhone to my iMac!

When I click "install," it download software, but then it says "Installation Failed."

I just tried resetting my phone entirely, and that didn't solve the problem.

The next step is to reset my iMac, but I really don't want to do that if I don't have to.

Has anyone else run into this?

(By the way, it happens for both my iMac and my Studio, and it happens for both my iPhone and my wife's iPhone, and it seems to have been around since we updated to Monterey.)

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 17, 2022 3:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2022 6:57 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. It's not a matter of the server or reinstalling the OS.

Turns out the Xcode install fixed it for me.

(oops - I accidentally marked best answer on my comment instead of JG's.)

4 replies

Oct 17, 2022 5:17 PM in response to gr8trtl

I suspect the Apple server is either very busy or is offline. That always seems the case when I get the error message.

There is likely no need to "reset". i.e. wipe the drive and reinstall the OS. Use the recovery panel at startup (Command + R) to reinstall the OS. None of your data will be touched. That might fix the problem, but if the problem is in one of your settings it won't.

Have you tried logging in as different admin user? If you don't have one, create one, login and retest.

"A software update is required to connect to your iPhone"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.