Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Photos on MacBook scanning the same photos from iCloud for people?

People have already been scanned for on my iPhone and I have People Albums showing up there just fine. Why aren't the People Albums showing up on MacBook (same iCloud account)? Photos on my MacBook indicate it also needs to run a scan.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 12:55 PM

5 replies

Oct 20, 2022 2:37 PM in response to phensuva

Greetings phensuva,

Begin by making sure that iCloud Photos is enabled on all of your Apple devices, using the the steps found here:

Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

"On your Mac

1. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences.
  2. Click Apple ID. 
  3. Click iCloud in the sidebar, then select Photos. 

If you have an earlier version of macOS, go to System Preferences > iCloud. Click Options next to Photos, then select iCloud Photos."

Take care.

Oct 21, 2022 10:05 AM in response to phensuva

It seems that each device scans and identifies faces on its own, and it may re-do that with updates. Who is identified and who is not may be different on different devices. So I add keywords for people-- I have "People" show all pictures of Karen, and then I use the Info window to add the keyword "Karen" to all of those photos. Then I can use the keyword to find Karen even after a re-scan.

Later, after new pictures are added, I make a smart album

and add "Karen" to those pictures, as well.

Oct 21, 2022 6:13 AM in response to phensuva

Hello phensuva,

It appears that this would be expected behavior per the resource below. When you open Photos on your Mac, it will scan your library so that it can attempt to identify people in the photos.

Find and identify photos of people using Photos on Mac - Apple Support

If you have additional questions, you'd want to reach out to Apple Support for further assistance.

Get Support

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Why Photos on MacBook scanning the same photos from iCloud for people?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.