Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone connected to MacBook Pro fails update

iPhone connected to MacBook Pro via USB to Lightning cable and an update is required that "fails." ***?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 4:18 PM

larrynj wrote:

iPhone connected to MacBook Pro via USB to Lightning cable and an update is required that "fails." WTF?

If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

8 replies

Oct 18, 2022 6:38 PM in response to larrynj

larrynj Said:

"Why do I get an "install failed" message when I try to install this 'update' about which I know nothing?: iPhone connected to MacBook Pro via USB to Lightning cable and an update is required that 'fails.'"

-------

What are you updating? The iOS?

Carrier Settings Update:

Try updating your carrier settings.

Go Here: Update your Carrier Settings on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Oct 21, 2022 12:35 PM in response to Gator222

Good point. I booted into Safe Mode and nothing happened. However, while I was in there I ran Cocktail. It is a general purpose housecleaning app that cleans out caches, etc. After doing that and rebooting, I was automatically presented with the dialogue box for updating. This time it worked.

Just needed a cocktail.

iPhone connected to MacBook Pro fails update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.