Lightning to HDMI no longer working with IOS16 update

Lightning av adapter to HDMI no longer working after IOS16 update. Updated to current iOS 16.0.3 using Apple certified cord, turned off and on, phone is updated and backed up. It work until ios16. Another phone works, but not updated to the iOS16. For example Netflix mirrors from phone to tv and will play the trailer, but once I hit play the screen goes black and says now playing on your tv. But is not playing anything. How can I fix this issue? Thank you.

iPhone 13

Posted on Oct 19, 2022 2:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2022 9:26 AM

Not helpful at all. The update to IOS 16 is not compatible with the AV digital lightning plug. We full time RV and do not have WiFi. We depend on the AV plug adapter. We even bought a new one. My wife just purchased the new 14, she had s 6 which worked great. Our iPad worked great until we updated to the 16. Now nothing works. You all need to fix this and quick passing the buck to the other streaming platforms.

Frustrated IPhone user for 10+ years

253 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2022 9:26 AM in response to J_Johnnyboy

Not helpful at all. The update to IOS 16 is not compatible with the AV digital lightning plug. We full time RV and do not have WiFi. We depend on the AV plug adapter. We even bought a new one. My wife just purchased the new 14, she had s 6 which worked great. Our iPad worked great until we updated to the 16. Now nothing works. You all need to fix this and quick passing the buck to the other streaming platforms.

Frustrated IPhone user for 10+ years

Nov 27, 2022 6:06 PM in response to HA02

I was on phone with an iPhone rep with and the rep basically told me that the new iOS 16 won’t work with HDMI any more due to content providers clamping down on pirating of movies and other copyrighted things. Apparently using an HDMI cable is how they do it and seems it will no longer be an option for people any more. People will have to now spend money on internet provider or hotspot to cast or mirror movies and tv shows now. That’s gonna get expensive. Hooking my phone into my tv in my big rig was a great way for a long haul trucker like me to watch movies on a bigger screen than my iPhone. No longer. The big corporations have spoken and they want more money under the guise of cracking down on piracy.

Jan 18, 2023 1:32 PM in response to Magyver888

I called tech support and got to one of the higher-ups. He actually acknowledged it is an IOS 16 series software issue and that Apple is aware of it. Trouble is, he didn't give any specifics as to when it would be fixed or how. He thought probably through another IOS upgrade. Yikes !! Very maddening.

Everybody please keep posting whatever you find out about this.

Nov 8, 2022 8:22 AM in response to HA02

I am having the same issues with streaming Netflix, Prime Video, HBO Max, etc. I've upgraded to iOS 16.1 as well, without any successful "fix". I am using a certified Apple OEM lightning to HDMI adapter. I've attempted the use of all SIX of my certified Apple OEM lightning to HDMI dongles with zero success of each. Either I have a black screen on my TV with audio or I have no audio and a "stuttering" video display whereby the video plays in slow motion for a second then pauses, plays again in slow-mo for a second then pauses...and so forth. Currently ONE streaming apps worked successfully...Disney+. I find it a sickening shame that I've paid for six lightning to HDMI cables at the cost of nearly $50 each and the so called "much needed" updates fail to accommodate and keep useful purpose with an Apple designed and sold accessory.

[Edited by Moderator]

May 1, 2023 5:26 AM in response to HA02

II have had a similar issue, contacted support and they were able to resolve the issue together with me:

My original issue was that the "Lightning Digital AV Adapter" stopped working for one specific iPhone (connecting via HDMI to a TV for screen mirroring and Fitness+ playback). The TV would not recognize any input, the same adapter worked with a different iPhone.

The support tech said I should try to reset the network settings, see here. This will remove all saved networks, but afterwards, the HDMI connection through the adapter worked fine again.

Since I haven't seen this mentioned in any of the numerous threads about the Lightning to HDMI adapters (most of which were closed), I wanted to mention it here, just in case it helps other people.

Nov 20, 2022 7:36 AM in response to OrigamiFan1

I took a day off work to drive an hour and a half to the nearest Apple Store, spent hours working with a few employees, and left with no solution as to why iOS 16 no longer works with the Apple Lightning AV adapter while using it with certain streaming apps. Not to mention I’ve spent hours on the phone with apple phone support, apple chat, and wasted time driving to an Apple-certified Best Buy that didn’t even connect my phone to the Lightning AV adaptor to see that it no longer works. I’ve had an iPhone since 2009, but this is my last apple product after this experience.

Jan 14, 2023 6:28 AM in response to HA02

Yes, I am experiencing the same problem. I called Apple support and they said they knew nothing about it and it’s probably a Samsung problem. So I called Samsung and they demonstrated that it is related exclusively to the 16.0 upgrade. I called Netflix support and they verified that Apple‘s upgrade has impaired and stopped the compatibility with the Apple lightning and TV. This is an Apple update issue. I asked if we could downgrade our software back to the prior version and they said no. Netflix may be able to do a software compatibility update at a future date I am dependent upon 5G T Mobile for my Wi-Fi, since I live in a rural fourth pas Pennsylvania area. So no Netflix or prime on my TV for now. It is an apple issue. Make no mistake about that.

Oct 21, 2022 2:49 PM in response to HA02

Hi HA02,

We understand that while using a Lightning to HDMI adapter from your iPhone, videos are not working.

We're happy to help.

First, check out the specific requirements and set up needed to connect your devices to your TV with About Apple Digital AV Adapters for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support.

Then, check out the "Get Help" section, which we've included below:

Find out what to do when you have the following issues.

If you see video but can't hear audio

Make sure that you're using a Digital AV adapter (which has an HDMI port). If you're using a VGA adapter, it doesn't carry audio signals. To hear audio with a VGA adapter, you need to connect to the headset jack on your TV, monitor, projector, or stereo.

If an app doesn't display video or play audio

The app might not be compatible with your adapter. Check compatibility on the app's info page in the App Store or contact the developer.

If an alert says that an HDCP-compatible device is required

Your content might not be compatible with your adapter. Movies, TV shows, and certain streaming video apps require High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP). If you try to play these movies, shows, and streaming videos using a non-HDCP digital connection—like the Apple VGA Adapter—an alert will ask for an HDCP-compatible device.

If you need help with other issues

1) Disconnect and reconnect your adapter from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch and from your TV, monitor, or projector.

2) Make sure that your VGA or HDMI cable works, since the issue could be with the cable.

3) Remove any VGA or HDMI extension cables or converters. Accessories that convert a VGA or HDMI signals to different video formats (DVI, Composite, Component) aren't compatible.

4) Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS.

For more help, contact Apple Support, to set up service for your:
iPhone
iPad
iPod touch

If the original problem persists after trying the previous steps, please provide us with specifics on what you see for more help, and we will continue from there. 

Thanks for stopping by the Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Jan 8, 2023 5:32 PM in response to HA02

My wife and I sat down this evening to watch a Prime Video we had been looking forward to watching......could not use our lightning to HDMI adaptor since updating our phones to iOS 16.2-----unbelievable. I've spent hard earned money on cables and an official Apple adapter so we can mirror movies to our TV screen in the rural area we live. Everything has worked perfectly the last couple of years until updating our iPhones to the latest software. I've been a loyal Apple customer for over 35 years and this takes the cake. We are so disappointed in how this has been handled by Apple. There should have been an immediate update released to address this issue. Apparently we are one household out of many that are presently dealing with this issue. We also do a lot of traveling in our motor home and will not be able to mirror movies to our tv until this issue is fixed. Highly disappointed.

Nov 8, 2022 10:03 AM in response to HA02

HA02,

As the issue continues you can also check the apps playback settings and controls. For Netflix their help page here might assist. How to use a mobile device to watch Netflix on a TV

Find helpful HDMI and AirPlay cast information for Hulu here: Cast and screen share video to your TV using your mobile device

Be sure to also check for any app updates. If needed, the steps here will assist: How to manually update apps on your Apple device

Should the issue continue, reach out to Apple Support directly to further assist.

Contact - Official Apple Support

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Best.

Nov 26, 2022 5:25 PM in response to Drock141

Holy THANK YOU for that comment. I live remote and have spent many hours and money trying to figure out what is wrong with my phone and/or device and Apple keeps blowing it off with aloof canned suggestions and responses that are totally not helpful but incredibly time taxing.

I have only know an Apple iPhone and an android sounds my only alternative.

Nov 3, 2022 2:12 PM in response to J_Johnnyboy

I have a similar problem...with most of my streaming apps. Using the lightning to HDMI adaptor works fine for screen mirroring, such as using google, or photos, static content, but not for video. I've read recently that there are quite a few people with similar issues. Most of my streaming apps play, but are choppy, and have no audio. It seems this happened after I upgraded to an iPhone 14, and ios16. Everything worked great previously, iPhone 11, ios15.7. Help?

Nov 8, 2022 9:07 AM in response to J_Johnnyboy

Out of 3 phones trying the same HDMI to lightening cord the iPhone 13 everything updated, YouTube streams great, Hulu we get picture no sound, Netflix just a black screen. All of these worked before the ios16’s using the same tv/cord setup. The other iPhone 13 that has not been updated to iOS16’s still works great using all the same apps and cord. The iPhone 13 Pro Max everything updated and everything works using the same tv/cord setup. Unfortunately the person with the iPhone 13 do not have internet to stream and are using their phone to mirror to be able to stream. Any other suggestions on what to try? I’ve read other complaints about this same issue when updating to the ios16’s updates. Thank you.

Lightning to HDMI no longer working with IOS16 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.