Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting 27" Apple Display (2012) to new MacBook Air

Not sure what adaptor i need to connect the video out to my USB C video on on my new Mac Book Air M2. The video out has a video screen icon on it (not a lightening bolt) too I cannot tell if it is a thunderbolt or mini-display plug...they look the same

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 2:16 PM

Hello Laguna Jeff,

Based on your description it sounds like you have a LED Cinema Display (27-inch), which has a Mini DisplayPort connection: LED Cinema Display (27-inch) - Technical Specifications

Additionally, Apple's Mini DisplayPort adapters aren't compatible with Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter. This resource has more details: About the Apple Mini DisplayPort adapters - Apple Support

So you would need to connect your display to a Mac with a native Mini DisplayPort to ensure compatibility.

Hopefully that addresses your inquiry.

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2022 2:16 PM in response to Laguna Jeff

Hello Laguna Jeff,

Based on your description it sounds like you have a LED Cinema Display (27-inch), which has a Mini DisplayPort connection: LED Cinema Display (27-inch) - Technical Specifications

Additionally, Apple's Mini DisplayPort adapters aren't compatible with Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter. This resource has more details: About the Apple Mini DisplayPort adapters - Apple Support

So you would need to connect your display to a Mac with a native Mini DisplayPort to ensure compatibility.

Hopefully that addresses your inquiry.

Take care.

Connecting 27" Apple Display (2012) to new MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.