Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air will not connect to home internet but will connect to other networks. Errors: "Wi-Fi does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the internet" & "wifi has self assigned ip address and will not be able to connect to the internet"

I have tried essentially every solution on the internet and still no luck. My Macbook Air is getting two errors, the first being "wifi has self-assigned ip address and will not be able to connect to the internet" and the other "Wi-Fi does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the internet".

It just randomly started doing this so now I cannot connect to the home internet anymore. I have renewed the DHCP lease, forgot all preferred networks and changed configure IPv6 to link-local, even gone as far as deleting files in config, and of course reset the device numerous times. If anyone has ideas for a fix PLEASE let me know!

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 1:02 PM

Try power cycling your router.

Try these troubleshooting steps: If you can’t connect to a Wi-Fi network on Mac - Apple Support

1 reply

Macbook Air will not connect to home internet but will connect to other networks. Errors: "Wi-Fi does not have an IP address and cannot connect to the internet" & "wifi has self assigned ip address and will not be able to connect to the internet"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.