Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages vertical bar size

Is there a way within the Pages application to change the vertical bar marker that shows where I am typing larger or wider?

Please note: I am not talking about the mouse pointer. Once you click on an area of the text that you want to change, the little vertical bar appears. That is what I would like to make wider and larger.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 8:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2022 8:25 AM

There is no means to adjust the size of the blinking insertion beam in the Pages document other than artificially increasing the zoom factor from the toolbar.

At 100% with 12pt Times New Roman Regular:

At 150%

4 replies

Oct 22, 2022 11:31 PM in response to ugwings

Here's a screenshot of the right side of a Pages document, showing a horizontal grey bar (indicating a space between pages), a vertical grey 'bar' to the right, showing a the background colour behind the current page in view, and, between them, a light grey vertical bar containing a darker grey 'lozenge' with rounded ends.

The grey lozenge with rounded end is the scroll control; the vertical bar in which it moves is the scroll bar.

The width of these items in not changeable.

The length of the scroll control changes automatically to indicate the height of the portion of the document in view, relative to the height of the entire document. The document shown has only three pages, accounting for the relatively large height of the control.

The only user accessible means of changing the size of this control/indicator is to change the relative size of the page by pressing option-command-8. Pressing the same keystroke combination a second time toggles the screen size back to the previous setting.

Regards,

Barry

Oct 23, 2022 11:17 PM in response to Barry

Hi again,

I see I had picked the wrong 'vertical bar'.

Resetting the zoom scale at the left end of the tool bar, as suggested by Viking OSX will do the job, and offers a wide range of magnifications.

Pressing option-command-8, mentioned in my earlier post, will also expand the page (and the text, including the insertion beam), but does not offer a range of magnifications. One advantage it does have is that repeating the option-command-8 keystroke combination immediately returns the page to its previous scale.

Another technique for finding the insertion beam is to tap the space bar a couple of times while watching for a widening space in the text. While fast and easy to do and to undo (give the delete key the same number of taps as you used on the space bar), it does require you to take care that you do not have any text (or objects) selected when you tap these keys. Typing (which is what you are doing) replaces any selected text with what is being typed.

Another technique for finding the insertion beam is to tap the space bar a couple of times while watching for…

In the last line above, you should be able to quickly determine where the insertion bar was when I marked the location, then wrote this line.

Regards,

Barry

Pages vertical bar size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.