How to schedule Shut down in macOS Ventura

Hello All. How do you schedule a shut down in macOS Ventura? The Energy Saver tab does not currently have the option.

Thank you

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 4:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 2:01 PM

I totally relate! That’s the most annoying thing! This feature has been there for 20 years… and they remove it for absolutely no reason the year when, more than never, we have to save energy… I don’t understand it… They don’t even get profit from that removal…

66 replies

Dec 14, 2022 8:13 AM in response to -Bubba-

Just dropped this to Apple Feedback... Dang! "Owned Macs since the 512.. never used Terminal! Simple scheduled shut down & Start requires a language I do not understand. pmset, womp, sudo, etc., etc. I do not want to learn to program a Mac, that was the whole system idea! Dang it I am 80! I do not have time for this. Jobs is turning over in his grave. Shame , shame!"

Oct 27, 2022 6:07 AM in response to Irvin Naylor

We found the same problem. Just been onto Apple support and they confirm that the feature has been removed.

But because others are asking where it has gone as well they are raising it as a feature request "for consideration for future releases".

I also told them that, in these days of escalating energy costs and Apple's claim to be environmentally friendly, it is incomprehensible why the schedule shutdown has been removed.

Feb 17, 2023 10:33 AM in response to Irvin Naylor

Scheduled power events are gone from System Settings. (One of the last bastions of NextSTEP and a marvel on the NeXT computers now relegated to the terminal via the pmset command which is a relic of a bygone era).

I want it to power on a particular Mac on Saturday's at 09:00 and shutdown at 21:00 so the command which has to be run by sudo is :-

sudo pmset repeat wakeorpoweron S 09:00:00 shutdown S 21:00:00

This has annoyed me so much I wrote it up.

https://www.ezone.co.uk/blog/ventura-system-settings.html

Oct 25, 2022 8:37 AM in response to Zephuros2000

What happens when you try? The command works for me. Make sure it's typed exactly as shown, with the args properly put in.

Here's the template:

sudo pmset repeat [type] [day] [time]

Here's an example (shutdown every Friday at 8:00 PM):

sudo pmset repeat shutdown F 20:00:00

However, Apple offers this note:

Your Mac must be awake and you must be logged in for it to shut down at the scheduled time. If you’re not logged in or if your Mac is in sleep, it won’t shut down.

Schedule your Mac to turn on or off in Terminal - Apple Support

Oct 26, 2022 6:46 AM in response to Irvin Naylor

Or did they hide the GUI setting in some other System Preference? Apple moved a lot of settings around as well as removing some. I definitely don't care for the new layout and location for various settings. Apple....pick a design & location, test it out thoroughly with lots of beta testers to find out what works and what people want & need before just making a change for changes sake. People don't want to play games of "Where is setting X" on their devices with each and every update/upgrade.

Apple is not here on these forums so you can provide Apple with product feedback here (Apple won't respond):

Product Feedback - Apple

Nov 1, 2022 7:19 PM in response to RatleyRambler

RatleyRambler wrote:

And I’ve discovered that the pre-Ventura Scheduled Shutdown is still functioning. But there is now no HMI to change it. 😱

Look back through this thread. There are several posts with the solution to both clear and configure these settings using the command line with the Terminal app. Apple even has an article with instructions which seems to imply removing the GUI configuration option was intentional:

macOS Ventura Schedule your Mac to turn on or off in Terminal - Apple Support

How to schedule Shut down in macOS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.