Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated to Ventura and my external Thunderbolt connected backup drive is invisible

After the Ventura update from Monterey, I cannot access my external backup drive. It is an SSD connected via Thunderbolt to my Mac Studio. The drive shows up in Disk Utility, but does not appear on the Desktop or anywhere I can see to access it.

I connected a different SSD drive containing an APSF Volume and a separate Time Machine volume, and the Time Machine volume appears on the Desktop but not the normal data volume.

So apparently Ventura made my backup volumes invisible.

Can anyone help?

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 10:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 1:04 PM

I have yet to upgrade to Ventura, but in Monterey and earlier, whether external drives showed on the Desktop was controlled by a preference setting in Finder. Is that no longer the case?

Here is where we'd set it in Finder->Preferences->General:

Also, we can have drives show up in Finder window sidebars. Does that also not work?

Similar questions

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2022 1:04 PM in response to Dick Chanslor

I have yet to upgrade to Ventura, but in Monterey and earlier, whether external drives showed on the Desktop was controlled by a preference setting in Finder. Is that no longer the case?

Here is where we'd set it in Finder->Preferences->General:

Also, we can have drives show up in Finder window sidebars. Does that also not work?

Oct 25, 2022 1:38 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for answering.

Yes, the drive does appear to be mounted according to Disk Utility. Interestingly, A Carbon Copy Cloner backup sees the disk and seems to run properly. I just cannot see the disk in Finder or anywhere to access it except I guess through Carbon Copy Cloner.

As I mentioned, I tried connecting a different SSD drive with two partitions and only the Time Machine partition is visible. And Carbon Copy Cloner sees the data disk but the Finder does not.

Under Monterey, on my MacBook Pro, the disks are displayed normally.

Oct 25, 2022 11:45 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hmm. Interesting. If I just search /Volumes/, all of my volumes, including CCCloner, show up in a nice row in the folder called Volumes. If I add /CCCloner/, the content of CCCloner shows up in a folder, but the icon does not show up on the desktop. I tried to move CCCloner as an alias to the desktop, but no go. (Safe Mode didn't work either, by the way.)

Oct 26, 2022 8:57 AM in response to Jerry Kirkpatrick1

FWIW, after upgrading to Ventura this morning, I initially had the same problem: my external SSD did not appear in the Finder: neither on the desktop, nor in window Sidebars, despite all the respective boxes being checked in preferen... err... settings.

[ The drive did appear in Disk Utility, and I could access it in the Finder using Command-Shift-G and typing /Volumes/(nameofdrive) ]

I eventually ejected that drive, and connected a different drive, and it showed up.

Then I tried a third drive (my TM drive) and it too showed up.

And just now I reconnected the first drive, and it too shows up...

Maybe a temporary issue while the system was still indexing, or something?

Oct 26, 2022 5:48 PM in response to Jerry Kirkpatrick1

The advice now being given to Mac users is to use CCC for backups, forgetting the bootable drive function: https://bombich.com/kb/ccc6/cloning-macos-system-volumes-apple-software-restore

For years the beauty of Carbon Copy Cloner has been the backup to a bootable disk in case of hard disk failure while working on a PhD dissertation that is due in 3 hours. It appears that Bombich is very near to throwing in the towel on that feature, given the complexity of Apple's proprietary system that is well nigh impossible to recreate in software by a third party.

Bombich says it notified Apple in November 2021 of the issue we in this forum are facing with CCC, but Apple has not replied. The struggle for Bombich at the debut of macOS 11 (Big Sur) is repeated and now serious enough for Bombich to recommend using CCC only for backup -- not for bootable backup.

Tonight I have reformatted my external drive on 2 machines and settled for the backup only function. The icon appears on the desktop. I thank (and pay) Bombich for CCC. I will continue to use it for a reliable approach to backups.

Oct 26, 2022 6:51 PM in response to DShelbyD

Having Carbon Copy Cloner as a backup software has been invaluable for me. It has faithfully allowed me to easily keep dependable backups that have saved me from disaster a few times. It is comforting to know that my backups are accurate and useable in case of a computer hard drive failure. Bombich Software is to be commended for their incredible software and timely updates. I'm sorry to see the ability to make a 'bootable backup' that I've enjoyed for years, but will continue to depend on Carbon Copy Cloner to keep me perfectly backed up.

Oct 27, 2022 1:30 PM in response to DShelbyD

I'm assuming Super Duper is still bootable. In fact, the website says this: "3.7 is fully compatible with Big Sur, Monterey, and Ventura, the latest releases of macOS, is Apple silicon native, and produces fully bootable HFS+ and APFS backups faster and easier than ever. It even supports creating and copying from snapshots." I haven't tried it out for several years, but the bootable part worked quite well back then. 

Oct 27, 2022 6:06 PM in response to Jerry Kirkpatrick1

I saw that, too. On the other hand, at https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/13803/superduper I read the following:

"What’s new in version 3.7 Updated on Oct 25 2022

Enhancements:

Ventura compatibility, While the backup will be configured for boot, Apple bugs may cause startup to be unsuccessful (although restoration is still possible). See the blog for the latest information."

The above is more in line with what I read on the Bombich site about changes in Ventura that create problems for making a bootable backup drive. Maybe we will see in the not-too-distant future Apple's own bootable backup solution to replace Time Machine. That's mere conjecture on my part, but it would explain the lack of response to Bombich's overture in Nov 2021.

Nov 11, 2022 10:24 AM in response to Dick Chanslor

(Almost) exactly my prob as well.

I have used this Ext HD for years with NO difficulties, until Ventura came along.

External HD with two partitions: Time Machine and CCClone (disk clone utility). The HD does not show in finder. CCClone partition does not show in Finder, but Time Machine does show. At some point in my effort to solve this, I came across the volume CCClone which had a Red circle with a minus sign through it, and when I clicked on this I was advised that: The Folder CCClone can't be opened because you don't have permission to see its contents.

CCClone has difficulty mounting the volume to do its backup, but if I hold my tongue right I can get it to mount the volume and do its work.

I cannot eject CCClone. Pre Ventura, if I asked to eject Time Machine or CCClone, I was asked if I wished to eject all volumes on that disk, which was useful. Now I cannot, and when I eventually just disconnect the USB cable, I get reprimanded for not ejecting properly.

I have gone to Settings in Finder and instructed it to show all volumes and Devices to no avail.

I would most welcome a solution to this frustrating problem.

Updated to Ventura and my external Thunderbolt connected backup drive is invisible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.