Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'trust this computer' keeps on popping up

Installed iOS 16.1 and I keep on getting asked to 'trust this computer' multiple times when trying to sync/backup. It seems this might be related to interruptions in the sync protocol. I cleaned out the Lightning port, and the problem has apparently gone away. At least I got a successful backup without additional 'trust' prompting.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 6:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 10:48 PM

It's a new 'feature' in 16.1 apparently. It's particularly annoying for me as i use iMazing for scheduled unattended backups over wifi which are now useless as I continually need to interact with the iOS device to start the backup. Another example of the Apple 'hammer to crack a nut' approach to security...

Do what I did, and feed this back to Apple: Product Feedback - Apple

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2022 10:48 PM in response to Toregev

It's a new 'feature' in 16.1 apparently. It's particularly annoying for me as i use iMazing for scheduled unattended backups over wifi which are now useless as I continually need to interact with the iOS device to start the backup. Another example of the Apple 'hammer to crack a nut' approach to security...

Do what I did, and feed this back to Apple: Product Feedback - Apple

Oct 26, 2022 2:52 AM in response to D.E. Emery

There is a small thread on Macrumors of people having similar issue. Appears to be a new feature on iOS/iPadOS 16.1. Every time you connect or if you're still connected and you press the Backup Now button, the iPhone/iPad will ask you for your security code to "trust computer" and allow the backup to happen. It's incredibly annoying and there doesn't seem to be a way to stop it.

Nov 1, 2022 11:56 PM in response to D.E. Emery

I too am experiencing this issue with iMazing. Like enkaytee, my scheduled iMazing iPhone backups to my NAS are failing because I have to be awake and enter a password to allow my phone to trust my laptop. So much for well planned automated backups. Apple sometimes makes the most idiotic moves. I understand the need for security, however, there needs to be a way for those that don't want it to disable it.

'trust this computer' keeps on popping up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.