Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel Panic during sleep

Installed Ventura yesterday afternoon. 2019 iMac 21.5" 4K, 3.2GHz 6-core i7, 32GB DDR4. Every time it goes to sleep: "Your Computer Restarted Because of a Problem." ...What's up with this?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 9:40 AM

17 replies

Oct 25, 2022 9:42 AM in response to DUG1138

Disconnect all third party peripherals before going to sleep. About the only "safe" peripherals are keyboard and mice. If an external hard drive is connected, quit the open programs that might be using it, and dismount the external drive first before going to sleep.

Many peripherals are not familiar with Mac OS low power mode, which remains in effect until you restart the Mac.

Your Energy Saver settings of put hard drive to sleep when possible can trigger it more often.

Oct 25, 2022 1:21 PM in response to DUG1138

The problem is the power the drive is able to manage during sleep. You can supplement drive power with a hub that takes pass through power from a USB-C adapter that is sufficient,

https://www.smklink.com/products/usb-c-multi-port-hub

As for your music library, do you have it on multiple drives, or just one? You never want to have your data in just one place. You never know when that one place might fail.

Oct 25, 2022 1:58 PM in response to DUG1138

Hi doubtful those error mistakes will make any difference.

Like finding a needle in a haystack. Process of elimination can verify if it is reproducible with the drive, versus without.

If it happens every time you go to sleep after opening the music, but does not happen if the drive is disconnect, you can be sure something about the drive was not too happen.

http://www.binaryfruit.com/ DriveDX lets you evaluate the health of both internal and external drives. That can at least show is the problem the cable or the drive itself.

Oct 26, 2022 6:04 AM in response to a brody

Though the issue does seem to be related to external SSD drive that I bought from the Apple Store (unplugging it correlates with no kernel panic during sleep), unplugging the drive is not an acceptable solution. It worked in Catalina. It worked in Big Sur. It worked worked in Monterey. It should work in Ventura. It should just work.

Oct 27, 2022 4:32 PM in response to DUG1138

Bring it in for service. It may be something has happened with the logic board such as bad memory.

Backup your data before bringing it in for service. and make sure the Energy Saver is off when backing up your data.

Upgrades don't cause kernel panics, but because they may address different parts of memory, may expose a fragility not seen before.

Oct 30, 2022 7:23 AM in response to DUG1138

I have exactly the same problem (including some random freezes while using the Mac normally)

I have a number of external devices connected to the computer (Mac mini) including a few powered mechanical drives and two external SSDs that are powered via the USB bus.

It is not an option to get rid of those peripherals at the moment. They worked fine for a number of years and over several versions of MacOs X, until the Ventura update.

To make the problem worse, every time the computer crashes and I have to manually restart it, it boots into Recovery Assistant.

I use an external GPU, and when the computer boots this way, the eGPU is excluded. All I get is a black screen.

Every time I have to connect an HDMI cable between the Mac and monitor, restart the Mac from Recovery Assistant to be able to then boot properly using the eGPU and display port cable connected to my monitor. So essentially having to restart the machine three times and connect/disconnect cables at the back.

I don't think I have to point out how this is ridiculous (everything worked fine until the update).

I wonder if, at least, there is an option to disable Recovery Assistant/Recovery Mode after a kernel panic during sleep.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Oct 30, 2022 3:17 PM in response to er-minio

Back in early versions of MacOS there was an option in System Preferences, under Energy Saver to "Put hard disks to sleep when possible". For some reason that option isn't available to me anymore in Ventura on this iMac, though I've seen a screenshot from another user here showing that they do have it. I'm thinking maybe it's because all my drives, internal and external are solid state that I don't get the option? Anyway, while I was looking around in System Settings here in Ventura, I found under the Advanced settings for Displays, an option to "Prevent automatic sleeping when the display is off". So, I flipped that on, and now the display turns off on schedule but the kernel panic stopped happening. It's probably costing a few extra pennies a day for the electricity, but at least it doesn't crash.

Oct 31, 2022 4:43 AM in response to DUG1138

Back in early versions of MacOS there was an option in System Preferences, under Energy Saver to "Put hard disks to sleep when possible".
sudo pmset disksleep 0

That will turn it off. Setting a value in minutes will turn Hard disk sleep for that amount of time. Default was 10.

If it is a laptop, you can set it for battery (-b) or AC power (-c) or both (-a).

To only disable hard disk sleep on wall charger:

sudo pmset -c disksleep 0

But, that all seems irrelevant now that you found the other setting which works for you.

Kernel Panic during sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.