Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to put all photos into iCloud Shared Photo Library

For about a decade my wife and I shared an Apple ID. Recently my wife switched to her own Apple ID (because Apple Health kept mingling our data) and we've been waiting patiently for iOS 16.1 to come out so we could share all the photos we've accumulated over the years. So now that iCloud Shared Photo Library has come out and I've set one up, I'm left wondering how I get my 10,000+ photos and videos into this shared library so my wife can see them. Apple's Support page doesn't say anything about this subject:

How to use iCloud Shared Photo Library - Apple Support

Surely I don't have to manually select and move 10,000+ photos?

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 12:42 PM

Ok, answering my own question: just wait, you Dufus! During the creation of the shared library I was actually asked whether I want to move my photos to the shared library and I answered 'yes'. But I wrote my question here because after a day and a half, none of my private library's photos were showing in the shared library, so I assumed there was some kind of bug or I misunderstood the original question, so how do I move all of them myself?

Apple should really provide some feedback on what's going on - I don't remember seeing anything in either my private library or shared one that indicated in any obvious way that the move was on the way. All I saw was some mysterious 'syncing' message.

Anyway, on day 3 after my shared library creation, I see 2000+ photos (out of 14,000+) in the shared library and my personal library has shrunk by an equivalent number. So all is working, apparently.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2022 12:42 PM in response to tjwolf

Ok, answering my own question: just wait, you Dufus! During the creation of the shared library I was actually asked whether I want to move my photos to the shared library and I answered 'yes'. But I wrote my question here because after a day and a half, none of my private library's photos were showing in the shared library, so I assumed there was some kind of bug or I misunderstood the original question, so how do I move all of them myself?

Apple should really provide some feedback on what's going on - I don't remember seeing anything in either my private library or shared one that indicated in any obvious way that the move was on the way. All I saw was some mysterious 'syncing' message.

Anyway, on day 3 after my shared library creation, I see 2000+ photos (out of 14,000+) in the shared library and my personal library has shrunk by an equivalent number. So all is working, apparently.

How to put all photos into iCloud Shared Photo Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.