Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Bluetooth.

The built-in Bluetooth on my Mac Mini has very short range. 10 feet maximum. I'm trying to find out how to use an external USB Bluetooth radio and NOT use the built in one.

I am using an Apple keyboard and mouse. The Mac Mini is somewhat built in and this could be causing the range difficulties. If I could somehow tell my Mac Mini to use a USB Bluetooth instead of the built in one I think this would have a good chance at solving my problems.

I found the below discussing a change to make using Terminal. This information is 9 years old so I'm reluctant to try it.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/94402/force-os-x-to-use-bluetooth-dongle-instead-of-built-in-controller

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 1:39 PM

Thank you for helping. This Mac Mini is somewhat built into my living room entertainment center and it's more or less a "jukebox" I use Apple Music for this purpose. Anyway, I really can't reposition things very much. However, I did find the below procedure that allowed me to use an external USB Bluetooth dongle.

With this procedure, I'm able to tell my keyboard and track-pad to use the Bluetooth dongle, not the Bluetooth built into the Mac Mini. So far, this appears to be working much better. Once I find an answer, I always like to place it here in case others come across it searching with a similar problem. Thanks again for helping.

Starting with the external bluetooth dongle unplugged:

1 Turn off Bluetooth

2 Wait about three seconds

3 Plug in dongle

4 Again, wait about three seconds

5 Turn on Bluetooth

Additionally, there's a much quicker way to see which bluetooth adapter your mac is currently using. With your external Bluetooth adapter unplugged:

1 If there's no Bluetooth icon in your menu bar, go to system prefs -> Bluetooth and check "Show Bluetooth in menu bar"

2 With the external dongle unplugged, option+click on the Bluetooth icon in your menu bar

3 Note the sequence of letters and numbers after "Address:". This is the name of your computer's internal Bluetooth adapter. (I usually just pay attention to the last two characters)

4 Now, try to switch to your external adapter, and repeat the above steps. If the address changes, your computer is definitely using the external adapter.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2022 1:39 PM in response to den.thed

Thank you for helping. This Mac Mini is somewhat built into my living room entertainment center and it's more or less a "jukebox" I use Apple Music for this purpose. Anyway, I really can't reposition things very much. However, I did find the below procedure that allowed me to use an external USB Bluetooth dongle.

With this procedure, I'm able to tell my keyboard and track-pad to use the Bluetooth dongle, not the Bluetooth built into the Mac Mini. So far, this appears to be working much better. Once I find an answer, I always like to place it here in case others come across it searching with a similar problem. Thanks again for helping.

Starting with the external bluetooth dongle unplugged:

1 Turn off Bluetooth

2 Wait about three seconds

3 Plug in dongle

4 Again, wait about three seconds

5 Turn on Bluetooth

Additionally, there's a much quicker way to see which bluetooth adapter your mac is currently using. With your external Bluetooth adapter unplugged:

1 If there's no Bluetooth icon in your menu bar, go to system prefs -> Bluetooth and check "Show Bluetooth in menu bar"

2 With the external dongle unplugged, option+click on the Bluetooth icon in your menu bar

3 Note the sequence of letters and numbers after "Address:". This is the name of your computer's internal Bluetooth adapter. (I usually just pay attention to the last two characters)

4 Now, try to switch to your external adapter, and repeat the above steps. If the address changes, your computer is definitely using the external adapter.

Oct 25, 2022 12:34 PM in response to Ziatron

I would try rearranging the setup, so that there are no High Speed USB or Display cables in-between or in close proximity to your Bluetooth devices.

see > Resolve Wi-Fi and Bluetooth issues caused by wireless interference - Apple Support

Another thing to try, is to stand the Mac mini on its side to see if that improves the Bluetooth range.

If you do decide to go with an external Bluetooth dongle, you will want to put it on a USB extension cable to get it away from your other High Speed cables and devices.

Problems with Bluetooth.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.