Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keeping emails on Mac

How do I keep emails on the Mac? They are all in iCloud and I'd rather they weren't, for a variety of reasons.

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 6:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 6:13 PM

Create or delete mailboxes in Mail on Mac describes how to create Mailboxes " On My Mac."

4 replies

Oct 25, 2022 6:57 PM in response to Steve1000

One of the things to be aware of when you do this is: On My Mac: Mailboxes you create in On My Mac are local, meaning you can access them only on the Mac where you created them.

Which for some folks is the killer. I have three Apple devices.. An older 2014 Mac mini, a M1 MacBook Pro and a 2017 iMac. I need to have the same set of mail folders in each device. Apple Mail will not allow for that.

I ended up using a mail client called Postbox, which allows for the "local" folders to be stored on Dropbox. The other mail client that allows for local folders to be stored on Dropbox would be Thunderbird.

Just a thought.

Keeping emails on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.