Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I leave my MacBook with the lid closed and battery discharges overnight

Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2019). Oftentimes, when I close the lid and leave the laptop on my desk overnight, I wake up to find that the battery has almost completely discharged. My understanding is that the MacBook would go to sleep with the lid closed and this wouldn't happen. There are no external devices (such as a monitor) connected via cables to my laptop.

Here's my battery settings:

I find this very annoying. Does anyone have some ideas for things I could try to fix this?

Thanks!

Max

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 25, 2022 10:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 4:52 PM

Check the health of the Battery by Option-clicking the battery icon on the menu bar to see whether it says "Service Recommended" which indicates a worn out or failing battery.

Try an SMC Reset. Make sure to read the instructions since the procedure is different for the 2018+ models. It also never hurts to perform a PRAM Reset (hold the PRAM Reset for two chimes).

Run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

If none of this makes a difference or shows a possible hardware issue, then you may have some third party software installed that is not allowing the laptop to go to sleep. You can try booting the laptop into Safe Mode which prevents third party software from launching automatically during boot & login. See if you have the same issue by leaving the laptop booted into Safe Mode when you put it to sleep. To look for possible software issues run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2022 4:52 PM in response to MaxMarcon

Check the health of the Battery by Option-clicking the battery icon on the menu bar to see whether it says "Service Recommended" which indicates a worn out or failing battery.

Try an SMC Reset. Make sure to read the instructions since the procedure is different for the 2018+ models. It also never hurts to perform a PRAM Reset (hold the PRAM Reset for two chimes).

Run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

If none of this makes a difference or shows a possible hardware issue, then you may have some third party software installed that is not allowing the laptop to go to sleep. You can try booting the laptop into Safe Mode which prevents third party software from launching automatically during boot & login. See if you have the same issue by leaving the laptop booted into Safe Mode when you put it to sleep. To look for possible software issues run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

I leave my MacBook with the lid closed and battery discharges overnight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.