Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods Pro 2 case is draining battery without using the AirPods

Hi,

Battery on my AirPods Pro 2 case is draining 20 - 25 % a day without using the AirPods. I have the latest firmware. Is anyone else having the same problem? Thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 12:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2022 11:54 PM

I have the same problem with my AirPods Pro Gen 2 where the case loses so much battery that it only can charge the AirPods once or at best twice.

I've also had the AirPods 2 and after 3 years of usage its battery performs far better than my new APP 2.

My AirPods Pro 2 is running the latest firmware as my iPhone has the latest iOS. I've already tried reseting, unpairing and disabling "Find my" feature, but none of those solved the problem.

AirPods Gen 2 is the best Apple product I've ever bought, while AirPods Pro gen 2 is the worse.

62 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 5, 2022 11:54 PM in response to aplascencia81

I have the same problem with my AirPods Pro Gen 2 where the case loses so much battery that it only can charge the AirPods once or at best twice.

I've also had the AirPods 2 and after 3 years of usage its battery performs far better than my new APP 2.

My AirPods Pro 2 is running the latest firmware as my iPhone has the latest iOS. I've already tried reseting, unpairing and disabling "Find my" feature, but none of those solved the problem.

AirPods Gen 2 is the best Apple product I've ever bought, while AirPods Pro gen 2 is the worse.

Jan 20, 2023 6:32 AM in response to aplascencia81

Hi all,

I had the same issue and was super frustrated. Resetting didn't help and all the solutions tried were in vain. I was convinced I had a faulty case and initiated the return of the headphones.

I was loosing 1% every hour without even using the headphones. So overnight I lost 12-15 %without touching the case

Suddenly for some reason the drain stopped. No OS Upgrade, no Case upgrade nothing.

It just decided to work by itself.

It could be, that the reset always causes the AirPods to recalibrate battery etc. and thus the drain happens over and over again, even though you are trying to resolve it with the reset. Hence you experience this drain. Even people getting replacements probably get the same issue, as I've read some people are on their 4th or 5th case.

So just try using it over the days and see if it just fixes by itself.

Nov 8, 2022 3:20 PM in response to aplascencia81

I have the same issues. The case is using way too much battery to charge the AirPods and the standby drain if the case is ridiculous. I am getting literally half of the advertised listening time with 50-60% volume and no spatial audio.

I though that some random disconnections and the case not making sounds when closing was an issue, but it’s nothing compared to the horrible battery life.

Nov 11, 2022 11:41 PM in response to aplascencia81

Have the same issue. Case is charging constantly air pods - even when they’re 100% charged. During night (6h) I got at least 20% drop of case charge level. Tried to reset, turn them off from Find My app, got the latest firmware. Something is really wrong. Case is losing almost 100% during one day not using AirPods at all - and the AirPods are fully charged and constantly being charged from case.

Nov 13, 2022 1:07 AM in response to aplascencia81

After a few times of full charge/discharge, my case battery is doing a lot better. I can charge my AirPods 2-3 times over a period of 3 days. Still not as expected, but better.

I don't know if it was the new firmware or fully discharging/charging my AirPods case or a combination of both.

I recommend fully discharge and charge your case, and leave it on charge for about 1 hour after it was charged. This is what I did.

Mar 5, 2023 2:09 AM in response to aplascencia81

Has anyone seen any improvement lately?

The number of posts of users talking about the case battery issue on this forum and Reddit has diminished recently...

The battery of my case is still draining quickly and I see no difference if I switch both Find My and Optimised Battery Charging off. Sometimes resetting the AirPods as suggested here How to reset your AirPods and AirPods Pro – Apple Support (UK) helps. However, as soon as I charge the case again, the issue comes back.

I don't use my AirPods a lot (about 1.5 hour/day Monday to Friday, medium volume, ANC on, spatial audio on) and I am currently charging my case every 5-7 days (from 10-20% to 100%). Sometimes the battery drain is slow, sometimes faster. I am definitely nowhere near 4-5 full AirPods charges with a single full case charge (as I expected to be).

I have been at the Genius Bar; they couldn't find any issue with the case but recognised that I could ask for a new case if the problem persists. I am not considering this option because it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem. I definitely don't want to end up asking for a new case every few weeks as some people are doing!

Firmware still on 5B58. It would be interesting to know if 5B59 for AirPods Pro 2 has been delayed because they are aware of the case battery issue and they are trying to solve it; or because they think that AirPods Pro 2 are perfect as they are with 5B58 (really hope this is not the case!).

Nov 20, 2022 7:36 AM in response to scoss23

Same here. Got battery drain after update to the last version of firmware. Already tried swich off Find my, tried to reset and other popular recommendation. Nothing helps me. It is so bad user experience. This is my first headphones from A and I faced with low quality product. My other IEMs from china (which cost 30 dollars) works without any problems.

Nov 24, 2022 5:43 AM in response to Veter_ok

Battery drain on case is terrible, took it to Apple Store as fully drained after 8-9hrs use versus advertised 24hrs. Store replaced the case, after c. 1hrs use and recharges the replacement case is now at 88% so the issue still not resolved by Apple. Will continue to monitor and if necessary revisit Store and request full replacement of product.

AirPods Pro 2 case is draining battery without using the AirPods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.