Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extremely slow external SSD read and write speed after Ventura update - MacBook Pro 16 M1 Max

Machine = MacBook Pro 16 M1 Max.

Since the Ventura update all my external drives are transferring at around 5-30MB/s down from around 800-900MB/s. I have a mix of Crucial, Samsung, and Kingston SSD drives which they all have the same problem.

Reinstalled the Ventura update with support, did not help, all drives have been tested on an identical MacBook Pro running Monterey and they work as normal.

Im struggling to make a Time Machine backup as it keeps failing, and transferring to my backup drive takes an extremely long time.

I work in Video, and its brought all my apps to a crawl as the read write speed is so slow. This is affecting my work, so help would be greatly appreciated.

1, has anyone had this problem?

2, how easy is it to go back to Monterey as this laptop is critical for my work,

3, any possible solutions?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 12:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2023 9:21 AM

The same issue with Sandisk Extreme SSD. But i just notice 1 thing: when i connect this ssd to my iPad Pro it is working lightning fast. No any pauses at all!

Apple! ***?

Similar questions

56 replies

Dec 7, 2022 1:27 PM in response to LVLeleven

So this seems to be a major issue for a probably a lot of people. I really hope Apple is going to take a look at this. Never have I ever spent so much money on a MacBook Pro ... I maxed everything out in order to not have any issues for years when it comes to video editing and now this. Do people working at Apple ever take a look at their own forum/Community section?

Dec 7, 2022 10:42 AM in response to racer2k1

The only solution for me was the fact I was able to revert my machine back to Monterey and start fresh, there isn’t a solution and seems to be deep in Apples firmware for MacOS.

Starting fresh would save you so much stress, check if Monterey is an option, back up alllllll user date in your user profile, ‘Cmd shift .’(I think) To show hidden files and copy that too.

It’s sad to say this won’t be fixed for a long time as far as I can tell, and it affects quite a lot of users.

Dec 7, 2022 9:32 AM in response to LVLeleven

Similar issue on 2021 16" MBP M1 Pro 16GB after updating to Venture. Issue is also with SD cards. Seems the faster the SSD or SD card, the worse it is bottlenecked.

USB-C SSDs:

• SanDisk Extreme SSD (Gen 1): 244 MBps write, 308 MBps read
    • 550 MBps rated (this drive used to get about 480 MBps up write and read on Monterey)
  • Samsung T5: 150 MBps write, 480 MBps read
    • 540 MBps rated (this drive used to get about 480 MBps up write and read on Monterey)
  • Samsung T7: 200MBps write, 600 MBps read
    • 1,000 MBps rated (this drive used to get about 720 MBps write and read on Monterey)
  • Kingston XS2000: 95 MBps write, 650 MBps read
    • 2,000 MBps rated (this drive used to get 720 MBps write and read on Monterey)

*All drives tested on Ventura 13.0.1 using BlackMagic Disk Speed Test

*All drives tested on Windows 11 using CristalDiskMark8 and have no speed issues using the same cable

SD Card (using built-in reader):

• Kingston UHS-II U3 V90: 33 MBps write, 193 MBps read
    • 300 MBps rated
  • SanDisk Extreme UHS-I U3 V30: 53 MBps write, 78 MBps read
    • 150 MBps rated
  • SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-I U3 V30: 48 MBps write, 81 MBps read
    • 170 MBps rated

*All drives tested on Ventura 13.0.1 using BlackMagic Disk Speed Test

Troubleshooting:

• Wiped and did a fresh install of MacOS Ventura 13.0.1 with no restore from backup
  • Checked SSD life and firmware using Samsung Magician and Kingston SSD Manager
  • Reformatted all drives using FAT, exFAT in both MBR and GPT schemes
  • Tried multiple known good USB-C cables

The 2021 MBP M1 Pro 16" already had issues with USB-C drives due to not including USB 3.2 Gen 2. This just adds insult to injury for video editors.

Feb 6, 2023 10:25 AM in response to LVLeleven

I have the same issue on a 15" MBP running Catalina and my new 16" MBP running Ventura. I bought a brand new Crucial 2TB external SSD this weekend to back up another 2TB SSD. Fresh out of the box Black Magic measured it at around 650MB/s. After the backup using carbon copy cloner the new Crucial drive returns read/writes in the 35MB/s. The backup took almost 8 hours. I also have several Samsung 1 and 2 TB external SSDs. They're all returning read/writes in the 35MB/s range.

Jul 22, 2023 8:41 AM in response to LVLeleven

I just needed to wipe my main computer to rollback from Sonoma recently and I confirm: installing Ventura directly on my MacBook Pro 16" Intel 2019 reproduced the issue (which I hadn't had before when I was on Ventura not too long ago).

Here's the full picture:

• External SSD of 1TB was plugged with a sata adapter through any of my 4 USB-C ports
  • The disk is formatted as APFS and was a full system backup of my Sonoma install
  • The disk was constantly reading (noticable noise) even though there was nothing happening
  • The disk was added to spotlight exclusion right away to make sure it wouldn't interfere
  • Reads were extremely slow - loading the list of files was excruciatingly slow and it seemed to have more trouble with files that had specific icons (not folders, but pdfs, apps, images, etc.)
  • Copying files from the SSD to my computer was extremely slow (5mb/s, sometimes slower), regardless of the method used
  • Copying methods tried: copying from Finder, cp command from terminal, rsync command from terminal, ditto command from terminal, some GUI rsync apps were tried
  • The disk was running extremely hot over a short amount of time.
  • I tried to plug it in with a different sata adapter (direct sata to USB adapter and Wavlink dual disk hub) and it didn't change anything, neither on speed nor on running hot

In the end, I scrolled past so many answers to this problem on every single link I could find from Google and one person suggested what ended up working for me - might be in this thread, but I can't find it anymore, credits to where it's due.

The solution was to not install Ventura, but Monterey and THEN upgrade to Ventura. What I ended up doing is restoring most of my files on Monterey to make sure I wouldn't run into the issue again, but I'm doing tests now that I have upgraded to Ventura again and the disk is of a normal temperature, mounts faster, reads faster, and copies faster. I'm averaging copy speeds of 250mb/s.

TL;DR: Install Monterey and then update to Ventura. DO NOT INSTALL VENTURA RIGHT AWAY. If you buy a computer that comes with the latest Ventura installed, test it out and if you have this issue, before doing anything serious with your computer, you might want to create a bootable USB drive and install Monterey THEN update to Ventura.

Nov 14, 2022 8:32 AM in response to LVLeleven

Hi LVLeleven,

I am experiencing the same issues. I do video edits straight from my SanDisk SSD. Yesterday I "upgraded" to Ventura and since then I couldn't work/edit off of my SSD properly as it was super laggy/slow. I just transferred the Final Cut file to my internal SSD on the Mac. Now it works super smooth again. I hope someone at Apple reads this and provides a solution to this option.

I have no idea if going back to Monterey works/is possible :-/ I wish I hadn't done the update.

Kind regards,

Roman

Dec 15, 2022 8:16 AM in response to LVLeleven

i had one hour call with apple support. we came up with three solutions:

1) when u make a new user - the problem is gone, so the first solution is to migrate data from old user to the new user

2) THE EASIEST solution is: go to settings - general - login items - and if you have app called "open" try to disable it and restart your mac - then try to plug in your hdd or ssd or sdcard if you see any difference (i tried this one)

3) when in that settings - click (i) info button near the "open" app and it will show a folder with it - backup it and then delete it - it just custom settings for some apps - could help too

in my case it worked - i can finally see previews of my raw files and its loading!

try it and let me know please

Dec 7, 2022 2:21 PM in response to RomanHuber

RomanHuber wrote:

Do people working at Apple ever take a look at their own forum/Community section?

No. This is a user-to-user support forum. If we can't reproduce the error, all we can do is direct you to one of:

Product Feedback - Apple - for general feedback, or

https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/ - to write a bug report. You may have to create a free developer account.

This kind of problem can be difficult. The general flow is always the same:

1) There is a change since installing (insert this year's operating system version here).

2) Ergo, there must be a bug in (version).

3) Me too!

4) Me too!, etc.

But at this point, it's a dead end. There is obviously no fundamental change in Ventura. Only a handful of people are reporting this problem. Possible causes are as follows:

1) Software conflict from some low-level system modification software

2) Hardware conflict from some other attached device

3) Hardware failure either internally or with the external device

I understand that this is not what anyone wants to hear. But I've seen this pattern repeated so many times, over so many years.

In most cases, people have no idea what low-level system modifications are installed and running. They also often only have vague ideas about what external hardware is connected. If you have specifics, you can post them. Maybe there is some common thread that would explain it.

You can try things like booting in safe mode. Or you can erase the hard drive and reinstall the operating system. Then run your test again before reinstalling any 3rd party software. If you still have the problem, then it is definitely a hardware problem. You can can take the computer and the external to an Apple Store and maybe get it fixed (assuming the failure isn't in the external).

If you don't want to do any drastic debugging efforts like that, then your options are severely limited. You can submit bug reports. If 10 thousand people have similar problems and they submit bug reports too, then Apple engineers might look through your reports and see if they can identify any common threads. But don't get your hopes up on this. It virtually never happens. And if it does, it takes months or years.

I'm not trying to start any fights here. I'm just trying to set expectations.

Dec 31, 2023 2:32 PM in response to LVLeleven

2019 Mac Pro Ventura

I have 2

After upgrading to Ventura it takes several seconds to read any information from an internal SATA physical drive.

When I click on a folder in Finder (that is on the real HD,)Finder just sits there for several seconds before any of the contents appear.

After they do the read and write speed is normal.

It’s as if the drive is completely asleep and has to spin up first.

Ventura offers no way to control HD sleep characteristics like previous OS’s did

I realize that the all new Macs are focused on SSD’s, but they should still work with the zillions of physical drives that are still in use.

Hoping for a fix.

Dec 7, 2022 11:42 AM in response to etresoft

This isn't a format issue. Format issues would cause a slowdown if the partition map was badly corrupted and the OS didn't detect it while mounting. That would be more along the lines of a read or write failure than a slowdown. I only mentioned this to note that the drives and cards had been freshly formatted.

APFS can speed up the process of the OS checking for free space before a write, and things like things like that, but this is more an issue with the USB bus driver/controller in MacOS.

Looks like it dates back to the Ventura betas.

Extremely slow external SSD read and write speed after Ventura update - MacBook Pro 16 M1 Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.