Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos - "This Library isn't searchable in Spotlight due to its location"

Hello,

My photo library is on an external hard drive, formatted with APFS, no TimeMachine backups on it.

Photos preferences are displaying "This Library isn't searchable in Spotlight due to its location". Reading the Help I see no reason to explain this.

Tested on 2 computers with a similar configuration (Photos library on an. external HD).

Any idea ?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 6:50 AM

32 replies

Oct 26, 2022 11:07 AM in response to léonie

Added: When I move my test library to /Users/Shared, I am getting the same message as you posted, no longer about the System Photos Library, but the library location.

This is indicating a permissions issue, as /Users/Shared is protecting the ownership of files.

Have you set the "Ignore ownership on this volume" flag for your external drive? Apple is recommending go set this flag for all volumes with Photos Libraries.

Oct 27, 2022 9:41 AM in response to léonie

The Photos User Guide doesn't give indication that this should not work. The "Learn More" link next to the message telling me that the library isn't searchable says the following:

By default, your System Photo Library is stored in the Pictures folder on your Mac, but you can move it to another location on your Mac or store it on an external storage device.

It also warns that

The enhanced Spotlight Search can locate items in the System Photo Library. If you use other libraries, Spotlight does not locate items in those.

But there's nothing to indicate that Spotlight Search will not work if the System Photo Library is located on an external storage device, which is how my Mac is configured. Indeed the implication seems to be that it *should* work. What am I missing?

Oct 26, 2022 8:39 AM in response to Louis Van Proosdij

OK-- I'm still on Monterey, so I can't reproduce you exactly. Also, I would have to disconnect my Library from iCloud and wait for hours for it to download originals. But this is what I tried: I turned off wifi so iCould wouldn't be affected, then I opened a library on an external drive and made it the system library. No iCould connection, of course. But I did not get the announcement, "This Library isn't searchable in Spotlight due to its location". We'll have to wait for someone else...

Photos - "This Library isn't searchable in Spotlight due to its location"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.