Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

private relay not forwarding password reset emails

My question is a follow-up to the existing post: private relay not forwarding password res… - Apple Community (sorry - but I could not see a way to continue the existing thread).

What is the solution to this problem? I also used Apple to create a new login - and there was no prompt for a password so I have no idea what was used. I requested the site to rest my password but I am not receiving the reset email. I have checked email forwarding - and it's correctly set up as my primary iCloud email. I have also checked my 'junk' folder and there is nothing in that.

I see that numerous other people have this question as well ....

Mac mini, macOS 12.5

Posted on Oct 27, 2022 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 6:09 PM

@K_Wall44 thanks for your response. I had already looked at the information Apple supplied regarding 'sign in with Apple' and assumed that they were generating a password 'on the fly' as well as a different email (using 'hide my email'). I'm a bit shocked that they are re-using my Apple password - given that most security advice recommends never doing that.

Also the other 2 Apple email alias services allow the user to use a different email address and a different password for every site. These being:

1. iCloud Email Aliases via iCloud.com (capped at three custom aliases), and
  2. Hide My Email via iCloud+ subscription

This was another reason why I thought that 'sign in with Apple' would behave the same way.

It would be useful if Apple clearly stated the password was being re-used in their help What is Sign in with Apple? - Apple Support so people can make an informed decision.

Given the number of data hacks happening, I think I will opt for both an email alias and a unique password for every site.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2022 6:09 PM in response to K_Wall44

@K_Wall44 thanks for your response. I had already looked at the information Apple supplied regarding 'sign in with Apple' and assumed that they were generating a password 'on the fly' as well as a different email (using 'hide my email'). I'm a bit shocked that they are re-using my Apple password - given that most security advice recommends never doing that.

Also the other 2 Apple email alias services allow the user to use a different email address and a different password for every site. These being:

1. iCloud Email Aliases via iCloud.com (capped at three custom aliases), and
  2. Hide My Email via iCloud+ subscription

This was another reason why I thought that 'sign in with Apple' would behave the same way.

It would be useful if Apple clearly stated the password was being re-used in their help What is Sign in with Apple? - Apple Support so people can make an informed decision.

Given the number of data hacks happening, I think I will opt for both an email alias and a unique password for every site.

Oct 30, 2022 11:00 AM in response to TheWishfulOne

Hello TheWishfulOne,

If you signed up on the website by using Apple, then that means your sign-in info is your Apple ID credentials. You can learn more about Sign In with Apple here: What is Sign in with Apple? - Apple Support using this feature does not allow you to reset the password for the provider's website because you are using your Apple ID account password and not a third party website password that was setup on their website.

If you need to reset your Apple ID password, then you can do so by completing the steps listed here: If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support or by completing the steps below.

Reset your Apple ID password on the web

If you don't have a trusted device, you can reset your password on the web—but the process might take a little longer.

When possible, the web process redirects you to a trusted device. If you'll have access to one of your trusted devices soon, it might be faster and easier to reset your password then.

Reset your password at iforgot.apple.com

Best regards

private relay not forwarding password reset emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.