Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Red dot on iPhone

I have recently change to sim only, changed the sim and now there’s a red dot there constantly and won’t go away, how can I get rid of it?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 28, 2022 9:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 30, 2022 1:13 AM

Thanks, guys. but I meant the red dot without any digit in it. so even after I went to the voice mail (which was empty) I still have the dot. However, in one of the discussion replies, there was an answer to it.

67 replies

Nov 24, 2022 9:52 AM in response to ryannshaw_

I had the same problem -

Thank me later 😃

1. Go to Settings > Notifications> Phone> then turn OFF Badge App button. The red dot should disappear from the phone icon.
  2. Check if the voicemail is working (which it should be). Call yourself from another phone and leave a message > Call voicemail and delete your message.
  3. Go back to Settings > Notifications> Phone> then turn ON Badge App button. The voicemail should now be working and the phone icon should now start showing the badges when you received an email.

Apr 27, 2023 12:55 PM in response to ryannshaw_

My husband and I have iPhone 14 pro max each. A couple of months ago a red dot appeared on the call app. When going in to call, there was also a red dot on voicemail icon! We tried all of the fixes we could find and even called Apple Support. We were told we would probably need a new sim each. By chance, I called my husband and told him to let it go to answer phone. He then listened to my message and deleted it ( 3 then 3 again). Hey presto - the annoying red dot disappeared! He then called me and once I had listened to and deleted his message, I too am RED DOT FREE! Hope this is useful.

Oct 29, 2022 10:12 PM in response to ryannshaw_

Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

Axel F.

Feb 16, 2023 2:04 PM in response to AppleCursed

AppleCursed wrote:

I have turned off all my microphone permissions, I have made sure that my voicemail is empty, I have looked at my call-log, I cannot figure out why this red circle is over my phone application.

It’s called a “badge”, and it means there is either a missed call or a voicemail in the Phone app. Tap on Phone and the badge will appear either on Recents or Voicemail; tap on whichever it is to see the missed call or listen to the voicemail.

Mar 24, 2023 6:58 AM in response to lovebug1014

lovebug1014 wrote:

I HAVE THAT RED DOT 🔴. I HAVE HAD IT FOR MONTHS NOW. I HAVE TRIED SO MANY DIFFERENT WAYS TO GET RID OF IT. I NEVER HAVE VOICEMAILS. NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK. WHY IS THERE NOT A PERMANENT SOLUTION?

Voice mail is not related to the active microphone indicator.

If you’re using an app that uses the microphone including the phone app, you will see the red indicator.

If you have tried it all, etc., then contact Apple Support.

Apr 27, 2023 1:57 PM in response to Tamleyt

Yes, the “badge” means that you have a voicemail that you haven’t listened to, if it is on the voicemail label. If you have an unanswered call you will get a badge on the Recents label. If there is more than one pending message or unanswered call there will be a number in the badge saying how many you have. In general, badges on any app mean there is a notification i the app that you haven’t attended to yet.

Red dot on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.