Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail doesn't zoom/magnify when composing an email

I cannot easily read the text when composing a message in Apple Mail (macOS). The font is too small and Apple doesn't allow you to Zoom the Compose window.

So instead, I type my message in the Notes app and paste it to Apple Mail. This is a strange workaround for 2022.

To actually read what I'm typing in Apple Mail, I need to increase the font size, which isn't a good solution (have you ever forgotten to reduce the font size before sending?).

Another proposed solution from Apple is to Zoom the entire screen (all window/apps) and not just the Compose window in Apple Mail. You do this via Accessibility in System Settings. This isn't a good solution either.

Apple should allow for zoom/magnification in the compose window in an email app. This is common sense. Please fix. Thanks

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Oct 28, 2022 11:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2022 1:53 AM

I completely agree. I recently switched to Airmail just so I could zoom my compose window. It’s not a perfect app, and not as stable and well integrated as Apple Mail but at least I can see what I am writing properly.

Zooming your entire screen is a very unpleasant workaround. You then lose the edges of all your windows and have to scroll your whole screen around. And if you’re switching between applications and documents as you compose your email then it’s really unworkable.

I think all Windows mail applications, and a lot of Mac ones allow you to zoom your mail compose window. It’s been discussed on Mac forums for years, I can’t understand why they don’t have it.

Every time I upgrade my MacBook the screen resolution is higher and therefore the type in the email compose becomes smaller. Apple Notes and Pages allows you to zoom up the text you are composing, yet for some reason Apple won’t allow you to in mail. You can only zoom up the emails you receive.

It probably doesn’t matter so much if you have a really big screen or only use email for very brief messages, but for people that need to compose detailed emails on their MacBooks, it makes Apple Mail hard to work with. I will submit another feature request too.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2022 1:53 AM in response to coconautical

I completely agree. I recently switched to Airmail just so I could zoom my compose window. It’s not a perfect app, and not as stable and well integrated as Apple Mail but at least I can see what I am writing properly.

Zooming your entire screen is a very unpleasant workaround. You then lose the edges of all your windows and have to scroll your whole screen around. And if you’re switching between applications and documents as you compose your email then it’s really unworkable.

I think all Windows mail applications, and a lot of Mac ones allow you to zoom your mail compose window. It’s been discussed on Mac forums for years, I can’t understand why they don’t have it.

Every time I upgrade my MacBook the screen resolution is higher and therefore the type in the email compose becomes smaller. Apple Notes and Pages allows you to zoom up the text you are composing, yet for some reason Apple won’t allow you to in mail. You can only zoom up the emails you receive.

It probably doesn’t matter so much if you have a really big screen or only use email for very brief messages, but for people that need to compose detailed emails on their MacBooks, it makes Apple Mail hard to work with. I will submit another feature request too.

Nov 25, 2022 5:40 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for that suggestion. It's also a work around that is suggested by Apple. But it would then involve changing the font sizes back to normal before sending, otherwise the recipient will get mail with oversized fonts. I see this as more of a viewing issue. In many apps, including Airmail, I just press command+ once or twice and the text is clearer to work with, but the outgoing font size has not changed. This is a common feature on most apps you write text with.

Nov 1, 2022 7:20 AM in response to dialabrain

Thanks. Because it zooms all window/apps) and not just the Compose window in Apple Mail. You do this via Accessibility in System Settings. This isn't a good solution because in order to simply increase magnification so I can see what I'm typing into an email, I have to magnify all screens/apps in macOS. Try it and you'll see how much it sucks..

Apple Mail doesn't zoom/magnify when composing an email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.