Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri will not read messages unless I unlock the phone. (Iphone 13 IOS 16)

I used to be able to have siri read messages when the phone was locked. She stopped some time ago. I have tried several "fixes" I found here and googling but none seem to fix it. Thanks.

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 7:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2022 4:39 PM

Hi TurtleMom33,

By default, Siri won't read Messages previews because the previews won't be shown when your iPhone is locked for your privacy and security.

If you go to Settings > Notifications > Messages, you can change Show Previews to Always instead of When Unlocked.

Please be aware that this means anyone can read your messages that are on your Lock Screen even if your iPhone isn't unlocked.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2022 4:39 PM in response to TurtleMom33

Hi TurtleMom33,

By default, Siri won't read Messages previews because the previews won't be shown when your iPhone is locked for your privacy and security.

If you go to Settings > Notifications > Messages, you can change Show Previews to Always instead of When Unlocked.

Please be aware that this means anyone can read your messages that are on your Lock Screen even if your iPhone isn't unlocked.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

Oct 31, 2022 4:12 PM in response to TurtleMom33

Hey there TurtleMom33,

We'd like to help get Siri to read your incoming texts while the screen is locked. Let's start with confirming some details about what's happening, along with ruling out some possible causes:

1. We see you mentioned having iOS 16, but the latest for your model is iOS 16.1. You can verify this within Settings > General > About. Here's a link that'll show how to first back up, then Update your iPhone or iPad.
  2. Sometimes unexpected behavior can be resolved with a restart: Restart your iPhone
  3. You mentioned Siri stopped doing this some time ago, but do you recall any major change right before it began?
  4. Which headphones are you using with your iPhone?

Cheers!

Siri will not read messages unless I unlock the phone. (Iphone 13 IOS 16)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.