Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone text message issue.

Iphone text security and privacy issue.

• press on text message notification.
  • Press on notification to reply to question in text message notification
  • iphone opens previous message thread
  • not realising, remembering or forgetting the messages app bug or bad design
  • message goes to wrong person at work.
  • Can cause unpleasantness to be created in workplace because wrong person recieves the confidential information due to bad app design decision or app bug.
  • Have got to the point where i don’t feel i can trust the iphone texting application, because wrong person receives the sensitive and private information.

Often causes reply to be sent to wrong person in the workplace.

Often am multitasking in high pressure and productivity work environment that is very dependant on concise and accurate and sensitive information that is not to be seen by the not in loop people at work.

iPhone SE (Gen 3)

Posted on Oct 30, 2022 1:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2022 4:07 AM

Hello,

I have never encountered this issue so I want to clarify what you are experiencing. When you say "iphone opens previous message thread" do you mean previous message thread you had open in the Messages App (not the sender or the notification text) or the previous message thread from the sender of the message you tapped the notification to reply to?

• "not realising, remembering or forgetting the messages app bug or bad design
  • message goes to wrong person at work."

I am inferring that this means after you tap the notification the wrong conversation opens in Messages which you don't realize. Then, the message is sent to the conversation opened not the sender of the notification you tapped. Is that correct?

I am curious if you have a lot of text notifications from multiple senders at work? If so, are they all stacked on top of each other with the one you are trying to reply to on top?

Changing how your Messages notifications are grouped could help you open and reply to the conversation you are intending.

Use notifications on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

"Change group notification settings

1. Go to Settings and tap Notifications.
  2. Select an app and tap Notification Grouping.
    • Select one of these options:
    • Automatic: The notifications from the app are grouped according to organizing criteria within the app, such as by topic or thread.
    • By App: All the notifications from the app are grouped together.
    • Off: Turn off grouping."

I would recommend using Automatic or Off especially if the grouping is shown as a stack.

Another option would be to just clear the notifications and then open Messages and the conversations manually. You can even filter to only see your unread messages if that could help.

Keep track of conversations in Messages on iPhone - Apple Support

"See a list of your unread messages

To see a list of your unread messages, you must first set up message filtering.

1. Go to Settings  > Messages.
  2. Scroll down to Message Filtering, then turn on Filter Unknown Senders.
  3. In the Messages conversation list, tap Filters, then tap Unread Messages."

If these are iMessages rather than traditional SMS or MMS "text" messages you may be able to unsend them when sent to the wrong person, if you can upgrade to iOS16.

Unsend and edit messages on iPhone - Apple Support

I hope this helps.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2022 4:07 AM in response to WhyEnZee

Hello,

I have never encountered this issue so I want to clarify what you are experiencing. When you say "iphone opens previous message thread" do you mean previous message thread you had open in the Messages App (not the sender or the notification text) or the previous message thread from the sender of the message you tapped the notification to reply to?

• "not realising, remembering or forgetting the messages app bug or bad design
  • message goes to wrong person at work."

I am inferring that this means after you tap the notification the wrong conversation opens in Messages which you don't realize. Then, the message is sent to the conversation opened not the sender of the notification you tapped. Is that correct?

I am curious if you have a lot of text notifications from multiple senders at work? If so, are they all stacked on top of each other with the one you are trying to reply to on top?

Changing how your Messages notifications are grouped could help you open and reply to the conversation you are intending.

Use notifications on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

"Change group notification settings

1. Go to Settings and tap Notifications.
  2. Select an app and tap Notification Grouping.
    • Select one of these options:
    • Automatic: The notifications from the app are grouped according to organizing criteria within the app, such as by topic or thread.
    • By App: All the notifications from the app are grouped together.
    • Off: Turn off grouping."

I would recommend using Automatic or Off especially if the grouping is shown as a stack.

Another option would be to just clear the notifications and then open Messages and the conversations manually. You can even filter to only see your unread messages if that could help.

Keep track of conversations in Messages on iPhone - Apple Support

"See a list of your unread messages

To see a list of your unread messages, you must first set up message filtering.

1. Go to Settings  > Messages.
  2. Scroll down to Message Filtering, then turn on Filter Unknown Senders.
  3. In the Messages conversation list, tap Filters, then tap Unread Messages."

If these are iMessages rather than traditional SMS or MMS "text" messages you may be able to unsend them when sent to the wrong person, if you can upgrade to iOS16.

Unsend and edit messages on iPhone - Apple Support

I hope this helps.

Oct 30, 2022 5:54 AM in response to Scott-he-him

Hi Scott

Okay, this is correct

It opens the

‘previous message thread I had open in the Messages App (not the sender of the current notification text that I am responding to.)

Has caused embarrassment me on a few occasions now, as I have received text from personal friends and the humour often is weird and sometimes NSFW jokes and memes are sent between us.

On a few occasions I’ve

• Tapped the friends text notification ( message is readable on notification) and just quickly typed out a reply or joke and pressed to send what I wrote.
  • However the messages app ALWAYS does auto open on the previous persons text conversations, as in my manager’s messages, and before I know it I’ve accidentally sent some weird out of context message straight to the boss like in the middle of the night last time. Nothing that bad, but just weird stuff, so then had to quickly message my boss apologies for probably waking her up. And thats then 2 i imagine unwelcome wake her up messages… Is awkward experience.

Previous to this phone, I only had androids, the android notification directly links to the messages from the sender who appears on the notification.

A similar issue also happens on the ios Mail app (emails).

when pressing on the Mail icon on homescreen it always opens up the last email I’ve read or replied to. I would expect it to open the email inbox. But it opens the actual message all the time. I find this annoying as at work, i am often working in close proximity to others work mates and or clients, have been required to email a work document, and -bamb- a private/personal email message auto opens on the mail app screen, hasnt caused any problems but the risk is certainly there.

It should just auto open the last place it wad closed at ie.

• if I close Mail app while reading or writing an email it ahould open on that readable and writable email so I can continue.
  • If I close Mail app on Inbox or menu view it should then open app onto the Inbox or menu view.

Mail app always opens on last email read, regardless of whether or not I’ve closed the email and or gone back to the Mail home screen menu view.

The default Mail opening should land the user on the selection menu screen imo.

I’m not sure if i have grouped any of my text contacts/conversations. I will look into it.

Thanks, Scott, for the suggestions and instruction guides of settings in your reply.

I will follow through them and see if I can get the Messages app to work as I would like it too.

will reply here to share the results.

thanks again

iphone text message issue.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.