Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to load update for Apple watch OS 9.1

I have tried to install the watchOS 9.1. update both using my iphone and also directly on my apple watch. Each time I get an Unable to Install Update message staying "an error ocurred installing the latest version of watchOS on your Apple Watch. I have already tried powering off both my apple watch and iphone.

Posted on Oct 30, 2022 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 10:14 AM

Which phone model?

Updating to watchOS 9 also requires one of these iPhone models:

• iPhone 8 or later with iOS 16
  • iPhone SE (2nd generation) or later with iOS 16

If the update won't start:

1. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
  2. Tap General > Software Update.
  3. Delete the update file.
  4. Try again to update your Apple Watch.

Learn what to do if you see 'Cannot Install Update' when updating Apple Watch or if your Apple Watch says you need more available storage to install a watchOS update.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2022 10:14 AM in response to Jflynnva

Which phone model?

Updating to watchOS 9 also requires one of these iPhone models:

• iPhone 8 or later with iOS 16
  • iPhone SE (2nd generation) or later with iOS 16

If the update won't start:

1. Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
  2. Tap General > Software Update.
  3. Delete the update file.
  4. Try again to update your Apple Watch.

Learn what to do if you see 'Cannot Install Update' when updating Apple Watch or if your Apple Watch says you need more available storage to install a watchOS update.

Nov 26, 2022 1:51 PM in response to Vancouver22

What if it's a new watch you're trying to set up? I'm trying to set up a Series 7 watch for my Dad. On his iPhone 11 with os16, it says os9 watch update available. When I click to download and install, after about 10 min...it fails (cannot install update). The only other option is to exit and reset (unpair). So we can't set up the watch, unless we update the os. I feel like we're in a vicious cycle. And because we can't get the watch set up initially with his phone, we don't yet have the Apple Watch app on his phone. Any suggestions would greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Unable to load update for Apple watch OS 9.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.