Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

photos corrupted on loading in editor

Does anyone encounter this on their latest Ventura ... I'm in Apple Photos, editing or simply just loading. RAW from Panasonic S5. If I switch to the next photo [>] occasionally I'll get a pink 100% corrupted image. This will also then render out to a JPEG on saving. It will go away when I return to the image later on. Very annoying when batch exporting because then every 10-20 photos is also corrupted.

On a Macbook Pro M1, 16GB, Ventua 13.0

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Oct 30, 2022 10:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 12:45 AM

Hi - Only thing I can suggest is try restarting your mac in safe mode and then trying.

Then restart normally, and try again.

Safe mode will clear temporary files and caches, and sometimes fixes odd glitches such as this.

Start up your Mac in safe mode – Apple Support (UK)

Otherwise it might just be a bug in ventura.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2022 12:45 AM in response to Community User

Hi - Only thing I can suggest is try restarting your mac in safe mode and then trying.

Then restart normally, and try again.

Safe mode will clear temporary files and caches, and sometimes fixes odd glitches such as this.

Start up your Mac in safe mode – Apple Support (UK)

Otherwise it might just be a bug in ventura.

Oct 31, 2022 1:10 AM in response to Community User

You could test with a different RAW developer, for example the software provided by Panasonic, if the problematic RAW files can be developed by another software, or are damaged.

If the problem is erratic and comes and goes it might be a hardware problem.

I have been getting these pink stripes occasionally for Raw files, when the RAW files have been very huge and I have been running many other apps in the background that have been hogging the memory. In that case the Mac has been parts parts of the memory chips, that otherwise have been empty. You may want to run a hardware test to check the memory. Restarting in Safe Mode as recommended by Tony will usually check the memory as well.

Or start Apple diagnostics for a more complete check: Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Nov 1, 2022 9:05 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thanks for the hint, but that didn't help. Still glitching, so it's not just some cache leftovers.

This problem most definitely occurred with the Ventura update. I was just editing along in Monterey with the same photo format and library, not problems. Well ... Apple Photos and RAW has always been full of little issues here and there, sadly.

Nov 1, 2022 9:07 PM in response to léonie

Editing: not an issue for me either. Simply, in editor mode, going back and forth in the set. And then sometimes the purple rain turning up. Went forth and back and that image was normal again. Highly repeatable.

Nov 1, 2022 9:34 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Nothing came up in Safe Mode regarding trouble. Problem persisted. Ran the hardware check. No issues reported.

The solution: used Adobe DNG Converter. Loaded the DNG files (converted from Panasonic RAW) into a new album. No more issues, no matter how hard I tried. New album with the original RAW files, purple/pink rain again.

So it's really about these RAW files. The DNG escape route I also had use with Big Sur at the time, but for different reasons (some corruption when doing retouching).

Thanks for all the advice here though. At least I'm back to semi-stable ground.

photos corrupted on loading in editor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.