Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

turn library music volume down in final cut

Is there a way to turn the volume down for all the songs in the music library in final cut? (Must be the same as apple music library)

I am editing in a timeline which is normalized to european loudness (ebu) norm and my audio is going through a breakout box to my speakers which are set to the right level. But every time I try to listen to a song from the final cut music library, the music is waaay to high.. I cannot turn down my speakers every time. Is there a way to reduce the volume for example by 9 db for all songs in the library like i can do with all my video clips?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 2:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 5:09 AM

That is a valid point.

I can easily see how monitoring that clip in your screenshot is a problem. Do most of them look (and sound) like this one?

Unfortunately, I don't see a way to make those changes in the browser - unless you actually import from the music browser to your library. Probably not what you wanted, but may serve as a workaround: drag a bunch of candidate music to an event in your library, adjust, choose, and delete those that you don't want.

If a clip is already in your FCP library, you can make adjustments in the Inspector, and you can do it for many clips at once - just select them all and lower the volume.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2022 5:09 AM in response to PeteHikers

That is a valid point.

I can easily see how monitoring that clip in your screenshot is a problem. Do most of them look (and sound) like this one?

Unfortunately, I don't see a way to make those changes in the browser - unless you actually import from the music browser to your library. Probably not what you wanted, but may serve as a workaround: drag a bunch of candidate music to an event in your library, adjust, choose, and delete those that you don't want.

If a clip is already in your FCP library, you can make adjustments in the Inspector, and you can do it for many clips at once - just select them all and lower the volume.

Oct 31, 2022 4:40 AM in response to PeteHikers

It is up to you how you edit your timeline, including the audio level.

You could lower the volume of any clips you want, or apply a limiter or compressor effect. There are endless possibilities. I expect that others much more versed in audio work can give more specific advice.

Also, you can enlarge the waveforms in the timeline appearance,

and turn on the audio meters (Command-Shift-8) to better monitor your audio.

Oct 31, 2022 4:58 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks, maybe its a little misunderstanding. When I edit the music in the timeline i can adjust the volume without any problem. But first I have to find music in my music library in fcpx and therefore I have to play back the clips in the library. And the (preview) playback volume of those clips is way too loud. So I was hoping I could set a default playback volume for those clips in the library or adjust the level for multiple clips in the music library the way I can adjust the volume of video clips in my video library.

turn library music volume down in final cut

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.