Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After Upgrade to Ventura - Photos: Unable to complete the operation. (PHPhotosErrorDomain error 3146).

Hi all,

After I upgraded to Ventura I get the following error when I open Photos:

"Photos was unable to open the library “Photos Library.photoslibrary”. (3146)"

When I open photos holding "option" and "command" and select the option to repair the library I get the same error.

In the console, launching Apple Photos I can see these errors:

• Failed to open photo library <private>, Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=41021 UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=<private>}
  • Got a bind failure for URL <private>, resetting bind state: <private> (previous result: (null))
  • XPC connection error to assetsd <private> : Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=41021 UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=<private>}
  • Swallowing proxy invocation: <private> <private>
  • openPhotoLibraryDatabase failed with error Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=41021 UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=<private>}
  • Failed to open/create library at: '/Users/myname/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary' error: Error Domain=PHPhotosErrorDomain Code=3146 "SIGTERM" UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=SIGTERM, NSUnderlyingError=0x6000029dd920 {Error Domain=com.apple.photos.error Code=41021 "SIGTERM" UserInfo={NSDebugDescription=SIGTERM}}}

Any ideas?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 10:15 AM

Where is your library located? If on an external how is it formatted and connected to your Mac?

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2022 10:15 AM in response to nuovoastro

Where is your library located? If on an external how is it formatted and connected to your Mac?

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

After Upgrade to Ventura - Photos: Unable to complete the operation. (PHPhotosErrorDomain error 3146).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.