Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari not keeping bookmarks in alphabetical order

Why am I having to manually put my bookmarks in Safari in alphabetically order on my apple devices all the time. Why does safari not have an easier way that will alphabetize one time and save them in that order? This occurs on phones and laptops etc.

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 10:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 5:37 PM

Hi wipsett,

Wondering if Apple support's tips can help:

Safari for Mac OS:

Apple Support's article: Sort, alphabetise or rearrange bookmarks in Safari on Mac – Apple Support

says:

"To sort bookmarks in a bookmarks folder,

Control-click the folder in the sidebar, then choose Sort By > Name or Sort By > Address. Address is the website URL".

If you use iCloud:

For iOS iPhone:

Bookmark a website in Safari on iPhone – Apple Support)

says:

See your Mac bookmarks on iPhone

Go to Settings  > [your name] > iCloud.

Tap Show All (below Apps Using iCloud), then make sure Safari is turned on.

Note: You must also have Safari turned on in iCloud settings on your Mac and be signed in with the same Apple ID.

See Set up iCloud for the Safari app on all your devices in the iCloud User Guide.

All the best :-)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2022 5:37 PM in response to wipsett

Hi wipsett,

Wondering if Apple support's tips can help:

Safari for Mac OS:

Apple Support's article: Sort, alphabetise or rearrange bookmarks in Safari on Mac – Apple Support

says:

"To sort bookmarks in a bookmarks folder,

Control-click the folder in the sidebar, then choose Sort By > Name or Sort By > Address. Address is the website URL".

If you use iCloud:

For iOS iPhone:

Bookmark a website in Safari on iPhone – Apple Support)

says:

See your Mac bookmarks on iPhone

Go to Settings  > [your name] > iCloud.

Tap Show All (below Apps Using iCloud), then make sure Safari is turned on.

Note: You must also have Safari turned on in iCloud settings on your Mac and be signed in with the same Apple ID.

See Set up iCloud for the Safari app on all your devices in the iCloud User Guide.

All the best :-)

Nov 3, 2022 4:09 PM in response to wipsett

Thank you for your reply, and for letting us know how you solved the alphabreticizing.

Sharing your experience here may help others who are looking for answers.

Mmmm we are all Apple users, like yourself, so we often don't know why apple chooses the ways and methods it does.

If you wish, you could send feedback to the team who work on Safari. They will likely not reply, yet if others are also experiencing this difficulty and send feedback, we may see changes in a future update.

There's a web-form online:

Feedback - Safari - Apple

Cheers :-)

Nov 3, 2022 7:30 AM in response to brbo

my apple devices are connected thru the cloud correctly and have been forever and yet I found that they were rearranging the bookmarks out of alphabetical order. I had to shut off safari and the phones in order to manually alphabetize the bookmarks on the MacBook. Then I had to restart the MacBook. When I turned the phones back on they synced with the MacBook and bookmarks were arranged alphabetically. what I do not understand is why apple would not be as easy as a pc to just pick the ABC order in the drop down menu, click and the bookmarks alphabetize automatically.

Safari not keeping bookmarks in alphabetical order

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.