Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

windowserver quit unexpectedly

Hello and respect

It's been a few days since I got the windowserver quit unexpectedly error and this is the error report. Is it possible to check to see what is causing this problem?

pastebin link for error report: https://pastebin.com/MVvtFSzX

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 11:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 3:04 AM

It never happened to me before Ventura. In Ventura, it's happening all the time.

So far, I have found out it's connected to Full-Screen mode. I am coding in JetBrains IDE products and if I use them in full-screen by switching the screens it always dies. In some other discussions, some people mention other apps in full-screen mode.

I deleted the customized color profile of the monitor. It looked like it helped, but then it started again...

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2022 3:04 AM in response to ehsan58

It never happened to me before Ventura. In Ventura, it's happening all the time.

So far, I have found out it's connected to Full-Screen mode. I am coding in JetBrains IDE products and if I use them in full-screen by switching the screens it always dies. In some other discussions, some people mention other apps in full-screen mode.

I deleted the customized color profile of the monitor. It looked like it helped, but then it started again...

Nov 13, 2022 1:33 PM in response to ehsan58

I have similar setups at my workplace and home office. Since upgrading to Ventura, I have been crashing repeatedly at work, but never at home. Initially, I thought it may be related to the fact that I have a 4K monitor at work and a QHD monitor at home (variants of the same Dell monitor). However, I believe now it is due to using the M2 MacBook Air in clamshell mode at home and open at work. I have started using the MacBook in clamshell mode at both locations and have yet to experience a crash.

Nov 16, 2022 3:08 AM in response to FriFra

That was my idea, but I somehow and stacked in the work and I can see that through Christmas time I could reinstall my set-up without any pressure or stress. Let us please know if it helped permanently 🙏

95% of my crashes was switchching the screens - usually - IntelliJ in fullscreen mode and switching to the normal window and the browser. I have probably just 2 crashes when I use the IntelliJ in the window.

Nov 21, 2022 7:32 AM in response to FriFra

Same here, but I continue to experiment. Have yet to have a crash when using the MacBook Air M2 on its own or connected to an external monitor in clamshell mode. In addition, I have not had a crash recently with the laptop open and connected to an external monitor with no app running in full screen. Also, deleted display preferences, which may have helped. In an effort to narrow the cause, now connecting to external monitor with laptop open with no app in full screen, but afterwards, putting select apps in full screen (e.g., Parallels). No crash yet.

Nov 21, 2022 12:20 PM in response to ehsan58

For me, it seems to come most when changing accounts. No apps are running in full-screen mode. Often I get a blank screen, which requires a hard reboot. (And with Ventura I need to type in a password to change accounts; touch ID doesn't work, though it's set to do so in the settings.) I'm on a 2020 MacBook Pro.

windowserver quit unexpectedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.