Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ventura Mail search defaults to ALL mailboxes: How do you change this?

Hello I am aware this question has been asked for previous OSs, but it is a problem I have never had and I now have in Ventura. When I search in Mail, EVEN IF I am selecting one single (or several) mailbox(es), Mail searches across all mailboxes.

I found no way to change this behavior and restrict search to the mailbox currently selected. Any idea of how to change this (annoying) default?

Thanks,

l.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 3:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2022 7:29 AM

This actually appears to be a bug. The documentation for searching Ventura mail at:

Search for emails in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

states:

Tip: Your search applies to the current mailbox. To search in specific mailboxes, select them in the Mail sidebar or the Favorites bar before you start.

4 replies

Nov 5, 2022 1:12 AM in response to siarhei1863

Not sure if it is a bug or a feature but definitely a feature that should be under the control of the user. Suppose I am looking for some info with my wife and all the messages from my 10 lovers (kept in separate mailboxes) pop out in the search; what do I tell her? that Apple made progress in search algorithms?

I posted a 'feature request' on the Feedback site, for what is worth.

Ventura Mail search defaults to ALL mailboxes: How do you change this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.