Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Loud Static Noise

I can by example, do any of these things in isolation, or even together, without any problem:

• Watch a video on YouTube
  • Open Adobe Premiere and do some work
  • Work in FL Studio
  • Open an mp3 in "Groove"
  • and yes, Windows sounds playing fine

Again, I could be doing a combination of these things and have no problems either.

So first off, iTunes plays songs beautifully. No problem.

But the moment I open any other sound producing program while I have iTunes open, a scratch noise (like the very old TV's white noise"), but it plays full freaking volume. And every time I get a **** near heart attack.

So a couple of notes

• Fairly new PC still on Microsoft 10, but M-Audio Fast Track sound device probably little old. It uses "ASIO" something whatever have you not.
  • I already disabled all enhancements in preferences, and tried various quality settings
  • Uninstalled sound drivers, disabled, went crazy
  • Regardless the volume of iTunes, Windows, OR my speakers the scratch sound is FULL BLAST!
  • The blast is mostly 1 blast, very short but extremely loud. When it's two blasts the second one is even shorter than the first.
  • It is ONLY when I have iTunes open, and I am playing music.
  • Again, windows sound as well. So if I play music via iTunes and get an "email notification" I KNOW I GOT MAIL ALRIGHT!! I think my neighbours know...
  • Apart from Windows sound, it seems to happen only with programs opened AFTER iTunes were opened. If I had Premiere open BEFORE iTunes it's not a problem.

Again...The ONLY time I get this scratch noise is when I have iTunes open playing music already, and I OPEN any other sound producing software or platform. It's just ON OPEN of whatever other software I open.

I have also learned in trying to isolate it, if I keep FL Studio open, the problem seems to disappear.

I can only "guess":

• iTunes somehow "hogs" the priority of devices, and possibly with ASIO, there is a latency for the program I try open, causing this horrible noise
  • Because it seems to disappear when FL Studio is open, I think it's also got something to do with FL Studio ASIO support architecture...

But no other programs or software or combination thereof creates this problem. It's only when playing music on iTunes, it actually does not make sense!!

It's a freaking odd ball, my workaround now - keep FL Studio open while listening to music on iTunes, in case anything else may way to use sound on my PC...

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 7:09 PM

Hey there hennie80,

While it does sound like something you may need to reach out to Apple Support for, we'd like to rule out some possible causes first:

1. You mentioned this only occurs with iTunes, but with none of your other sound production software. You also mentioned that keeping FL Studio open is a workaround for this, but when did it first start to occur?
  2. Any Windows updates ready to install?
  3. What about making sure you have the latest version of iTunes for your Windows PC? Here's how to check: Update to the latest version of iTunes for Windows 10

Cheers!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2022 7:09 PM in response to hennie80

Hey there hennie80,

While it does sound like something you may need to reach out to Apple Support for, we'd like to rule out some possible causes first:

1. You mentioned this only occurs with iTunes, but with none of your other sound production software. You also mentioned that keeping FL Studio open is a workaround for this, but when did it first start to occur?
  2. Any Windows updates ready to install?
  3. What about making sure you have the latest version of iTunes for your Windows PC? Here's how to check: Update to the latest version of iTunes for Windows 10

Cheers!

Nov 18, 2022 11:56 PM in response to bruno75

Hi bruno75,

This has been going consistently for 2 years. I just eventually reached out...yeah I know, just not an online community type of guy.

I only recently (week ago) did a Windows 11 upgrade...

So given how it has been going on for so long, through numerous updates, I can confidently rule out Windows Upgrades!

HOWEVER

Since my Windows 11 upgrade I got a whole reem of new bugs. One of them being...this loud noise now happening on Windows startup!!

(Finding beauty in negative spaces...

Just look outside your Windows, the grey cloud has a silver lining!)

So it's not an iTunes problem after all!!!

Whatever causes it, is triggered consistently when playing music through ITunes yes. But at least now I know iTunes is only affected by whatever the culprit is!

Ultimately though this audio interface device I use is discontinued, and it even predates Windows 10. So since I don't want to waste any more time playing "Engineer", it seems I just have to play "consumer" and wait until I can afford investing in a new model.

Thank you

iTunes Loud Static Noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.