Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Background multitasking on IOS

Hello,

So I'm coming from a Linux based phone (sailfish OS). I am still trying to wrap my head around how somethings work in IOS.

So a feature I'm used to is multitasking. Like a desktop computer I can switch between applications and ones that are not at the front, continue to run in the background. They get a lower priority. For example if i use "here maps" and download a map. I can minimize the application and surf the web or make a phone call and it keeps downloading.

Is this a thing in IOS? Right now I'm test driving an iphone 8 with IOS 16. I understand that the hardware is a bit older and so if i take a phone call or surf the web, the application pauses in the background. On newer iphones (since the processor is faster and more efficient) is the behavior still the same or do they have true multitasking? If its not a thing is there a way to enable this kind of behavior?

Regards,

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 10:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 10:35 AM

The ability to run in the background is programmed into the app.

For example standard YouTube app will stop streaming when the phone closes or the app goes to the bacl, Premium YouTube subscription will play music when the screen is closed.

Music app will (sometimes annoyingly) continue t pay music in the background.

So it is at the whim of the app developer not the phone user.

I hope that helps.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2022 10:35 AM in response to min0me

The ability to run in the background is programmed into the app.

For example standard YouTube app will stop streaming when the phone closes or the app goes to the bacl, Premium YouTube subscription will play music when the screen is closed.

Music app will (sometimes annoyingly) continue t pay music in the background.

So it is at the whim of the app developer not the phone user.

I hope that helps.

Background multitasking on IOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.