Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain Password keeping me from logging into account

I cannot login to my main account because as it is loading after I enter my password, it asks for my keychain password that I do not know. It just pauses once the window comes up and I do not have access to my cursor to cancel the window while it is stuck on the loading page. If I could just get in, I could reset the keychain password. I have even tried resetting the main password. HELP!!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 4:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 1, 2022 6:18 PM

Did you try pressing the Escape key or typing C-for-cancel?

--------

The account password is not stored in the keychain, it is stored separately.

When your Mac is new, the keychain password and the login password are the same. It is only when you start changing things around that they can diverge. Your Apple-ID password is NOT the same as any of these.

You can not reset the keychain password and retain any of the keys stored on it. Resetting keychain provides a new BLANK keychain.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 1, 2022 6:18 PM in response to Jamster_41

Did you try pressing the Escape key or typing C-for-cancel?

--------

The account password is not stored in the keychain, it is stored separately.

When your Mac is new, the keychain password and the login password are the same. It is only when you start changing things around that they can diverge. Your Apple-ID password is NOT the same as any of these.

You can not reset the keychain password and retain any of the keys stored on it. Resetting keychain provides a new BLANK keychain.

Keychain Password keeping me from logging into account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.