Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight Search Not Appearing MacOS Ventura

I've been using MacOS Ventura on my 2019 16" MacBook Pro, without issue. This morning I got an update to Xcode command line tools, and since then my spotlight search refuses to open at all. I hit Command+Space and nothing happens at all.

I tried everything suggested, right up to reinstalling MacOS Ventura from the recovery console, and Spotlight worked once, then never again. Is this a known issue with Ventura?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 5:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 5:21 AM

Do not use or have Xcode so can not speak directly to that aspect of this issue

But here is what I get with the above Keyboard Combo mentioned

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2022 5:21 AM in response to PHaS3

Do not use or have Xcode so can not speak directly to that aspect of this issue

But here is what I get with the above Keyboard Combo mentioned

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

Nov 2, 2022 5:19 AM in response to PHaS3

PHaS3 wrote:

I've been using MacOS Ventura on my 2019 16" MacBook Pro, without issue. This morning I got an update to Xcode command line tools, and since then my spotlight search refuses to open at all. I hit Command+Space and nothing happens at all.

I tried everything suggested, right up to reinstalling MacOS Ventura from the recovery console, and Spotlight worked once, then never again. Is this a known issue with Ventura?

file a bug report /submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Nov 2, 2022 5:32 AM in response to PRP_53

Yeah that window doesn't open for me anymore, which is unpleasant because I use Spotlight to launch apps and search for things quickly all day in my workflow.

I tried all the suggestions you have made, and disabled and re-enabled indexing, as well as adding the whole drive to areas not indexed and removing it again as per an Apple support document, no dice. Literally did a reinstall and the issue persists.

I have reported the bug, I shall await feedback. Interested if anyone else has this issue. It may be unrelated to the XCode command line tools update entirely. I also note MDS_Stores is using 4GB RAM and quite a bit of CPU time, so it is still indexing files after the reinstall.

Nov 7, 2022 3:48 AM in response to samilcan

Mine actually started working again by itself... after all the effort I put into fixing it / reinstalling MacOS, I ended up closing my lid, packing up and going home from the office - when I got home I logged into my MBP after docking it at home and it worked immediately. No clue, must have taken the indexing service time to do its thing. Been solid ever since.

Dec 20, 2022 7:17 AM in response to PHaS3

Also have this problem of Spotlight search box not appearing (upgrade from Monterey to Ventura 13.1), either with the keyboard shortcut or putting Spotlight in the menu. First thing I did was install Xcode and command line tools. I still have mds going. Hoping it will clear itself up. Quite annoying since I also use it to launch apps.

Spotlight Search Not Appearing MacOS Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.