You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Up and Down Arrow Keys Not Working on MacBook Pro

I know the question has been asked before, but I've yet to find a solution that works.

Since updating to Monterey 12.6 a couple weeks ago, I can no longer use my Up and Down Arrow keys to scroll in my browser (among a host of other Monterey-related problems). Instead, it appears as a cursor on screen. Previous solutions suggested in this forum included:

— "Open keyboard viewer (Open System Preferences>Keyboard>Input sources and click on show input in menu bar, then click on the keyboard icon in menu bar and select show keyboard viewer. ) Press on the arrow keys and side if the virtual keyboard shows those keys being depressed."

— "So on input sources at the bottom left you should see a[+ | -] thing and to the right of that there should be a check box that says "Show input menu in menu bar". After you click on that there should be an icon that appears on your top bar area section that has 3 lines and the command symbol. When you click on that click "show keyboard viewer" and that's how you go there."

The problem with these instructions is when I get to that last step, there is no "icon that appears on the top bar section that has 3 lines and the command symbol." There is no "show keyboard viewer" option.

Any other ideas on how to turn the scroll function back on for my arrow buttons?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 12:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 12:31 PM

Did you possibly turn on Full Keyboard Access in Accessibility?

5 replies

Nov 3, 2022 1:32 PM in response to Barney-15E

No, though reading the description under Accessibility > Keyboard, that is similar to the behavior I'm experiencing, though the arrows don't just move the cursor inside groups, it moves from item to item on the page, much like Tab would. (Another glitch, related or not to the cursor/arrow button issue: When toggling between apps, the focus now jumps around; even after scrolling down a page using the touchpad, the focus will jump back up after a second or two to where the "cursor" is.)

Up and Down Arrow Keys Not Working on MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.