Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Newsroom Update

Apple and Major League Baseball announce July “Friday Night Baseball” schedule. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Used apple TV HD, looks dead..

Hi! I got this used Apple TV, got it without the remote or any cables..

I have acquired cables, but it does not turn on.. No signal on the TV, no light, nothing.. If I can't get a hold of the original controller (I heard it can be locked to your controller and won't wake from sleep without it) is there anything else I can do? The guy who sold it to me is no help...

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 4:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 5:04 PM

Apple TV should start up (and show a glowing status light) when newly connected to power. No remote needed for this test.

You will need a remote, if the unit is functional.

What is the exact model? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support. See the bottom of the device for the A**** number. (A1218/A1378/A1427/A1469/A1625/A1842/A2169)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2022 5:04 PM in response to Teaney

Apple TV should start up (and show a glowing status light) when newly connected to power. No remote needed for this test.

You will need a remote, if the unit is functional.

What is the exact model? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support. See the bottom of the device for the A**** number. (A1218/A1378/A1427/A1469/A1625/A1842/A2169)

Nov 2, 2022 5:03 PM in response to Teaney

TeaneySaid:

"Used apple TV HD, looks dead..: Hi! I got this used Apple TV, got it without the remote or any cables.. (I heard it can be locked to your controller and won't wake from sleep without it) is there anything else I can do? The guy who sold it to me is no help..."

-------

Setting Up a Used Apple TV:

You would need an Apple TV remote, and an HDMI cable. As for getting the Apple TV remote, it would depend on the model to use. If the seller does not log themselves out of it, then you'll have no use of this for your Apple ID. This is the site the seller should have used prior to selling it to you: What to do Before you Sell or Give Away your Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD - Apple Support. The seller should have known better. So, ask them to use that site, and then give it back to you.

Used apple TV HD, looks dead..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.