Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple watch ultra from USA in Europe

I bought an apple watch ultra in the usa and when I bought it, I was not informed about the lack of e-sim support for this model in europe. purchase 10/10/2022. is there any possibility of updating, exchanging for the European version? am I doomed to these restrictions? The Polish Apple branch is not interested in helping me and sends me back to the USA .... I thought that apple was a premium brand with global after-sales service, not regional ... when I had a Cadillac in Europe, they did not send me to the service in the USA 😀

I know it's my mistake, I could have asked, but the lack of European support for some models should be more transparent.

It says that it doesn't work because of other cellular networks in Europe, but it works in roaming? !! it means that then he sees European networks and logs into them ...

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 6:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2022 6:54 PM

The reality is you made an unfortunate buying decision. Apple Watch cellular models purchased in the US are designed to connect to carriers in the US, Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico. That means the watch you purchased is not compatible with carriers in Europe. Apple Watch warranty is applicable to the country of purchase.

Whether it is capable of roaming or not is not the issue. The watch isn't designed to work directly in Europe. And Apple is very unlikely to exchange a US purchased watch in Europe.

But, we are not Apple. We are all users on this user to user only forum. You need to work this out with Apple directly.

Perhaps you can find a friend in the US who would like to buy the watch and then you can use the proceeds to buy one in Europe, which is compatible. Or, if that is not possible, the watch will certainly work as a GPS only model, which means you will need to have your iPhone near you for the watch to make/receive phone calls and text.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2022 6:54 PM in response to dariusz273

The reality is you made an unfortunate buying decision. Apple Watch cellular models purchased in the US are designed to connect to carriers in the US, Canada, Mexico and Puerto Rico. That means the watch you purchased is not compatible with carriers in Europe. Apple Watch warranty is applicable to the country of purchase.

Whether it is capable of roaming or not is not the issue. The watch isn't designed to work directly in Europe. And Apple is very unlikely to exchange a US purchased watch in Europe.

But, we are not Apple. We are all users on this user to user only forum. You need to work this out with Apple directly.

Perhaps you can find a friend in the US who would like to buy the watch and then you can use the proceeds to buy one in Europe, which is compatible. Or, if that is not possible, the watch will certainly work as a GPS only model, which means you will need to have your iPhone near you for the watch to make/receive phone calls and text.

Nov 2, 2022 6:21 PM in response to dariusz273

Apple Watch models have never had a SIM slot, and have never had a camera necessary to scan eSIM.

The Watch cellular telephone number is associated with the paired iPhone, and its cellular plan.

Watch does require the carrier support a paired device. Here are those carriers: Apple Watch - Carriers - Apple

Whether a carrier is willing to support a non-local device is up to the carrier.

The US iPhone 14 switched from one SIM to entirely eSIM. That’s independent of Watch Ultra.

As for refunds, we are other Apple users, not folks that work for Apple. You’ve seemingly already gotten an answer from Apple. Which means sell it. Buy what you need locally.

Dec 27, 2022 8:07 AM in response to EricvdWeerd

Even if someone said yes here, you cannot post personal information per the Terms of Use of this forum, so you'd have no way to connect with them.

Advertise your watch for sale somewhere where people buy things in your country and perhaps you'll find a willing buyer. If you do sell your watch, make sure you follow the directions in this link --> What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Apple Watch, or buy one from someone else - Apple Support

Nov 2, 2022 6:44 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thank you for the answer not related to the topic 😀

I will ask once more:

It says applewatch ultra doesn't work because of other cellular networks in Europe, but it works while roaming? !! it means that then he sees European networks and logs into them ...

and the second:

apple should inform more transparently that it imposes local restrictions and is not a company with real global support ...

Jan 5, 2023 11:32 PM in response to dariusz273

I have the same issue.

Unfortunately Apple couldn't support me for exchange the model, or solving my issue, although it still under apple care coverage :(

Apple recommendation is to buy another Watch with the correct model which I can’t afforded it at all. 

Do you think there is a solution?!  Or I have to  find any trusted one and trusted way to exchange it with him. 

Apple watch ultra from USA in Europe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.