Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I connect a LaCie CD/DVD drive with FireWire ports to my MacBook Pro 16"?

How can I connect a LaCie CD/DVD drive with only FireWire ports to my MacBook Pro 16"? So that I can get information off of DVD storage into my Mac?

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 11:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2022 11:14 AM

You need this:

Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter - Apple

and maybe this:

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

The original Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter has a Thunderbolt 2 port. If your MacBook Pro only has Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports then you need to daisy chain it off the second adapter.

6 replies

Nov 3, 2022 11:38 AM in response to neuroanatomist

> if you go the SuperDrive route a hub won't work

Clarification: an unpowered hub won't work.

The SuperDrive is powered via USB bus power (it has no external power supply).

Most unpowered hubs provide only the data connection, not the power connection to connected devices (there isn't enough power from the connection to the host system to provide full power to all downstream devices).

Powered USB hubs, though (ones that have their own power supply) typically can (and do) provide bus power to each of the USB ports and should work fine.

How can I connect a LaCie CD/DVD drive with FireWire ports to my MacBook Pro 16"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.